Thread: IPP printer Sharing using Ubuntu Container in LXD

Beans

IPP printer Sharing using Ubuntu Container in LXD

I have a network printer that only supports LPD/LPR printing. This printer is currently Mapped to my Linux Container.
    I have turned around and used ubuntu to share this printer. This allows the printer to be shared using the IPP protocol allowing driver less printing from my mobile devices.
    Everything works like a charm the first time I try to print.

Issue happens after 10-15 minutes when for no known reason the printer becomes unavailable.
    I have to then open the Ubuntu printer utility and then rename the printer description or some other filed a few times and after that the printer comes online.
    I do not understand this behavior and how I can ensure that the printer is always shared using IPP.

Is there some type of sleep function that is messing things up here?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: IPP printer Sharing using Ubuntu Container in LXD

A clever use of LXD containers!

I can only think of the following:

1. Look in your logs, both on the host and in the container. Filter for the network name of the printer, "LPR", "LPD", "IPP", IP address, etc. Everything you can think of.
    2. Is your printer going to sleep and dropping its network connection?
    3. When the printer becomes unavailable, can you still get in to its HTML maintenance page?

Beans

Hi DuckHook thanks for the suggestions... I am going to give it a try and see what I can find out in the logs on the Host. Cannot access server logs cause it is ChromeOS.
    I know the actual printer is not sleeping. I have tested printer sharing using a virtual PDF printer and a real network printer.
    Can you please elaborate on the HTML maintenance page please... what is that

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by hvaria2 View Post
    Hi DuckHook thanks for the suggestions... I am going to give it a try and see what I can find out in the logs on the Host. Cannot access server logs cause it is ChromeOS.
    ChromeOS(!) Okay, you need to mention things like that when asking for help because it has huge bearing on the problem. I didn't know that ChromeOS was even capable of running LXD. If the Chrome host is doing funny things to your LXD container, then I can't help you. I have no familiarity with ChromeOS whatsoever.

I am also moving your thread to a more appropriate subforum since it does not fall under Ubuntu.
    Can you please elaborate on the HTML maintenance page please... what is that
    Most printers can be accessed through a small built‑in web server. I have no idea if yours can, but it's worth a try. If it can be, then you usually have the ability to both view and change printer settings using the maintenance page. Your printer user manual should have instructions on how to access this page. I had printers almost 29 years old (now all retired) that had such web interfaces. Frankly, I'm hard pressed to remember any printers that did not.
    Last edited by DuckHook; March 26th, 2021 at 10:28 PM.