Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Wayland?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Advice on Wayland?

Due to a nasty video breakage that was hard to triage but had something to do with X11, I just made the jump to Wayland. All I can say is, "Wow". So far, everything not only works, but seems snappier and more stable.

I had resisted until now because my Wayland experience on Bionic was not good. In particular, it broke pulseaudio sockets on my LXD containers. But I just tried it this morning and everything works!

Are there hidden issues I should be aware of? Wayland user advice would be welcome and greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Advice on Wayland?

Hows the remote running of GUI applications been? Did they fix that? Last time Wayland was the default, no remote X11-like capabilities worked. Right now, I have about 15 windows open - 13 of those are running programs on other systems. Basically, I need an X/Server more than I need fast local graphics.

What about screen recording and capture tools?
    Does ImageMagick "import" work? How about SimpleScreenRecorder? I like to record presentations to re-review later regardless of whether the video-platform supports it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Have the Wayland developers changed their minds on the "There are things we have decided in our infinite wisdom that users don't need to do so we won't allow them to do so" attitude?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Hows the remote running of GUI applications been? Did they fix that? Last time Wayland was the default, no remote X11-like capabilities worked. Right now, I have about 15 windows open - 13 of those are running programs on other systems. Basically, I need an X/Server more than I need fast local graphics.
    15 windows. Oooookay… See, that's so far beyond my use case that it feels like it's another universe. I don't even have one remote GUI and don't foresee any future need.
    What about screen recording and capture tools?
    Does ImageMagick "import" work? How about SimpleScreenRecorder? I like to record presentations to re-review later regardless of whether the video-platform supports it.
    Haven't done anything remotely like those yet. I just made the jump this morning. Again, those are rather exotic use cases for me, but I can see their utility. If the need arises, I'll be sure to report back on any tests I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Have the Wayland developers changed their minds on the "There are things we have decided in our infinite wisdom that users don't need to do so we won't allow them to do so" attitude?
    I wasn't aware of this attitude. Seems quite counter to the whole Linux philosophy. When it comes to Wayland, I'm so new to it that I just fell off the turnip truck. Are some of those limitations what TheFu described above?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

After my first-day test drive:

1. The motivation for switching was that X11 would drop the video signal to my monitor about 1 in 10 boots. Unplugging‑plugging the video cable would not work. The only recourse was to either ssh into my main box from another (a royal pain) or sysrq (the nuclear option). Wayland has solved that.
    2. My video card is an older one that was the last of the AMD products using the Radeon driver. The combo of card, driver, kernel and X11 was always flaky and maxed out at 30 Hz, which sometimes induced eyestrain and headaches. Wayland is capable of driving the card at 60 Hz which is making a nice difference visually.
    3. Ubuntu's default video player, Totem, was unviewable under X because video would drop out, audio would desync and the output became a trial on the nerves. I worked around it with VLC player, but it's sad to have to resort to such kludges. Under Wayland, Totem runs as smooth as silk.

So far, I'm highly impressed.
    Last edited by DuckHook; March 26th, 2021 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Correct typo

Beans

I've used Wayland with Intel integrated graphics adapters and it seemed to work well.

Does anyone know anything about Wayland working with Nvidia graphics cards.

I have a Asus brand NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3] with the Nvidia 340.108 proprietary driver installed.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Video drivers are below Wayland/X11. Shouldn't matter.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I understood Wayland to be a protocol and that a compositing window manager (compositor) would be needed that operates according to the protocol. It seems that Mutter is the Wayland compositor for Gnome 3 shell. So, if there are developer limitations as to what Mutter as the display server/compositor can do it would be down to the Gnome developers themselves.

For those looking for technical information about the Wayland compositor in Ubuntu 20.04 + Gnome 3 shell, then this might help

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...landgame&num=1

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    …Does anyone know anything about Wayland working with Nvidia graphics cards…
    There were some complaints when Wayland first came out that it did not play well with nVidia, but that was years ago. Since IT years run even faster than dog years, things have probably changed dramatically since then.

It's easy to try it out: just choose Wayland at login (or does that apply only to Gnome?).

Beans

Yeah I read that Wayland needed the 450 / 470 Nvidia driver which isn't even offered for my graphics card.

Yeah I read all of the Nvidia didn't play well with Wayland but I will give it a try over the weekend and report back.

OK guys I appreciate the replies and I just wanted to get some feedback before I gave Wayland and Nvidia a try.

Thanks.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast