Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Advice on Wayland?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Advice on Wayland?

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    I'm confused because everything I read about Nvidia and Wayland says that a Nvidia proprietary graphics driver is needed to run Wayland with an Nvidia graphics card.

Why does the Nouveau open source driver work and since it does work why does anyone need the Nvidia proprietary graphics driver if the Nouveau open source graphics driver works.
    I have a very old nVidia‑based laptop that runs Wayland properly on the FOSS Nouveau driver. Its problem is that Nouveau displays things like video sub-optimally. For smooth video, I must run nVidia's proprietary driver, and that's when the problems start.

It doesn't help that I also run LXD containers and the proprietary drivers won't properly map LXD pulseaudio to the host. At least, I haven't been able to get it to work. I've kept to Nouveau because of this, despite its limitations.

Many prefer the proprietary drivers because they give better performance. But if you are happy with the Nouveau driver, then there's no need to change and your system will likely be stabler.

Beans

I've actually have good results using the Nouveau open source graphics driver vs the Nvidia proprietary graphics driver depends on which Nvidia graphics card I'm using and most of mine are from the Windows Vista days so they're years old.

I usually try and stick with the Nouveau open source graphics driver if it's working without problems because I have had problems with the Nvidia proprietary graphics driver.

I think I'm going to leave it as it is now a well working desktop in its present state and if I start having problems I'll switch from Wayland back to the X11 standard.

I've done a lot of reading about Wayland and there are a lot of mixed feelings about Wayland kinda like Snaps but I think my 2 computers use less system resources using Wayland although I may be wrong.

Anyway I'm slowly learning about stuff I have no clue of and surprisingly somewhat understanding it although trying to learn to much all at once at my old age of 69 confuses me sometimes.

Thanks DuckHook for the reply and the explaining of.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I haven't seen nor used wayland since it became the default back in whichever version it was a few years ago, and immediately stopped using it as there were so many things that did not work well on my hardware.

However, having read this thread I fancy trying again but I can not figure out how to install it on Xubuntu 20.04, or even if it's possible. Everything seems to point to gnome being needed and gdm3 but I'd prefer not to have gnome which I dislike, nor to change the DM in use.
    So is it possible to add wayland to Xubuntu 20.04 and make the choice, Xorg or wayland session, from lightdm which Xubuntu uses?

My machines are all using Intel graphics, no nvidia cards, but I can not find any info on what needs to be installed.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; April 12th, 2021 at 09:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    …is it possible to add wayland to Xubuntu 20.04…
    Hi aj,

I'm pretty sure that XFCE is not Wayland‑capable. Not yet anyway. If you don't like Gnome, perhaps try one of my favourites, Enlightenment. I believe the Enlightenment team have ported their latest few releases to Wayland, so it is both Wayland and X11 capable. You'd have to install the latest directly though. The version in the repos is ancient.

KDE is already Wayland-capable so Kubuntu is an option.

Another option might be Gnome‑flashback, which might be Wayland compatible because it uses GTK3. I've never tried it.

Yet another option is Lubuntu, but you would have to go to Groovy or Hirsute which would take you off LTS.

For sure I would try everything out in a VM first though.

Beans

I ran across this in my searches about Wayland.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...lanning-Begins
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks to both of you.

I thought the probability was that Xfce was not waylaid compatible and you seem to have more or less confirmed that.

I may well try a full Ubuntu install again in KVM and see how that goes with wayland but the chances of sticking with gnome are, I'm afraid, just about zero; it just doesn't work for me in the way I want it to.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have just installed Ubuntu 20.04.2 as a VM in KVM/QEMU simply to try wayland and at the moment wayland is running it with no difficulties or problems.

Actually I did have one problem; I am so used to using command xrandr -s 1920x1080 to set screen resolution and I did so when using wayland; of course, it doesn't work as it needs an x session. However, using the settings utility gets the resolution sorted with a GUI system.
    I'm sure there will be a terminal command to do this with wayland but have not yet even searched for it.

Using synaptic works by default now without the previous workaround necessary to get GUI applications to work with root permissions, and so far I have not found any disadvantages to wayland compared with Xorg though it is certainly early days so far and there may be many that I've yet to find.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Actually I did have one problem; I am so used to using command xrandr -s 1920x1080 to set screen resolution and I did so when using wayland; of course, it doesn't work as it needs an x session. However, using the settings utility gets the resolution sorted with a GUI system.
    I'm sure there will be a terminal command to do this with wayland but have not yet even searched for it.
    I ran across this link, perhaps it may be of use.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/9734...tom-resolution
    (Mark Twain)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234