Thread: Design vs text

aracas is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

Design vs text

What's more important when it comes to websites? A good design or useful text?

Beans

Re: Design vs text

Go on, do tell.. what's more important when it comes to websites? A good design or useful text?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aracas View Post
    What's more important when it comes to websites? A good design or useful text?
    I'd say neither. I'd want security first, system maintainability 2nd, then any non-trivial design (not necessarily good), followed by content. Content doesn't have to be text.

I prefer a simple, un-busy, website layout, but that gets into personal preference. I dislike when web designers try to be too unique. I like sufficient complexity to get the job done, but not so much that I'm overwhelmed. Too many buttons is bad. Not enough controls is bad.

If a website is too busy, I'll use another tool to grab it, force a minimal reading layout, and probably will never return. Then I'll read the content and see the copied images from a server I control (wallabag) with a simple, but clear reading view. https://www.wallabag.it/en/features has an example. I self-host it, but it can be bought from a service, if that is preferred. Wallabag supports exporting to many different formats, so if you have a tablet, then you can use a wallabag client or export articles to pdf or epub and use those readers, if you prefer. I sync content with an android wallabag client, so when I've marked it as read or to be deleted, then the next sync with the main server does that. A clean DB is good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If I don't see arcane GeoCities graphics, like sparkly angels blowing trumpets or sad puppy dogs wagging their tails...I'm outta there. Also, having embedded audio blasting at full volume out of the blue is a nice touch. It lets you know that the maintainers of the website are seasoned professionals that care about their prospective clients.

(But yeah...the "security" thing is important too...I guess...)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyBuntu View Post
    If I don't see arcane GeoCities graphics, like sparkly angels blowing trumpets or sad puppy dogs wagging their tails...I'm outta there. Also, having embedded audio blasting at full volume out of the blue is a nice touch. It lets you know that the maintainers of the website are seasoned professionals that care about their prospective clients.

(But yeah...the "security" thing is important too...I guess...)
    I'm partial to The Hamster Dance as a main page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampster_Dance It always brought a smile to my face. My $40K Alpha workstation (at work) at the time, didn't have audio, so I only got half the total goodness. ;( Gotta recall these were the days of the Independence Day (movie) screen saver that counted down to the opening of the movie and Elf Bowling.

It was a simpler time and Windows would crash every few hours - well - the more things change, the more they stay the same.