Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: snap should be dropped in desktop versions

Beans

snap should be dropped in desktop versions

snap packages add a new level of administration and required knowledge. In a non-technical desktop distribution, this is unacceptable. I've been using Linux for 40 years and Ubuntu for 10 of them. When I added and tried to use Keepassxc it couldn't access my database despite the fact that the Linux file system permissions should have allowed it. I assume it's a snap package limitation of some kind. I'll be darned if I'm going to learn snap administration in order to figure out what's wrong. If Ubuntu doesn't stop using snap, I will have to change distributions, which is a major pain to say the least.

I don't want to start a flame war. If someone can suggest another venue to more effectively communicate with the developers, please let me know.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: snap should be dropped in desktop versions

This is definitely not the venue to contact the developers. You may try this mailing list.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jim-o View Post
    snap packages add a new level of administration and required knowledge. In a non-technical desktop distribution, this is unacceptable. I've been using Linux for 40 years and Ubuntu for 10 of them. When I added and tried to use Keepassxc it couldn't access my database despite the fact that the Linux file system permissions should have allowed it. I assume it's a snap package limitation of some kind. I'll be darned if I'm going to learn snap administration in order to figure out what's wrong. If Ubuntu doesn't stop using snap, I will have to change distributions, which is a major pain to say the least.

I don't want to start a flame war. If someone can suggest another venue to more effectively communicate with the developers, please let me know.
    There are a few things I wanted to point out:
    1. The linux kernel got started in 1991, which is not 40 years ago.
    2. You don't even know what the problem is, just assumed it has something to do with snaps.
    3. I doubt anyone will take you seriously with this attitude.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jim-o View Post
    I don't want to start a flame war.
    Yes, you do.

Ubuntu isn't going to stop using snaps.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

keepassxc is available in both apt and snap format in 20.04. Just 'sudo apt install keepassxc'. I don't know what happens if you have both the snap and the apt packaged installed, so it's probably worth uninstalling the snap version first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Snap basically runs applications in a sandbox. I don't use it myself but it is running on my wifes 20.04 system and she has never heard the word snap or even knows that it exists. She is a non-technical person and uses what she gets. To this end it would be irresponsible for an OS developer to provide an OS to the non-technical public that wasn't rock solid secure. Since Ubuntu seems to be the named face of Linux for the general public I can see Canonical's reasoning behind using the snap packages. A non technical user doesn't need to know anything at all.

For myself "systemctl stop snapd" seems to work just fine. And "sudo apt-get purge snapd" works even better. I have always run the latest development version on my computer without too many surprise reinstalls and I'm happy. I am a technical minded person.

My wife runs default LTS Ubuntu and she is happy.

Life is good, be happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Any credibility was lost with the "using Linux for 40 years" line...

I may have been introduced to Unix in the 80s, but many years later when Linux was created, I had a hard time considering it anything but a toy, and that wasn't 40 years ago.

Understanding containerization I consider a general basic technology knowledge step (just like cloud, it's a modern topic in any organizations approach to reducing the cost of IT/technology). I don't see snaps as needing anything beyond that general knowledge (ie. they run in a container, thus the file-system they see is restricted and isn't the real one).

Snaps are a tool that do achieve some intended goals, and does provide extra software alternatives.

I'm using a 2009 dell desktop, so my box isn't rich with spare resources, so I avoid snaps if I can, but I still find snaps useful as the do provide easy fixes for some problems. My default desktop (Lubuntu) doesn't ship with any snaps installed anyway (so any installed are my choice).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

My initial ambivalence towards snaps has gradually shifted to ambivalent usage (if that makes any sense). In an ideal world, I would still prefer that all apps reside in the highly audited, disciplined and transparent confines of the traditional repos. This practice is a huge part of what has kept Linux distros so enviably safe all these years. But I also recognize that nothing in life is ideal, and computing especially so. It's easy for me to pine after the transparency of open source code and binaries spun only out of that source, but I'm not one of the devs charged with maintaining—what?—at last count, some 20,000 pkgs?

Like the OP, I'm a beggar getting free room and board, and I have no right to make such demands. Theirs is a largely thankless grind. I can see why they are taking the position that app authors can maintain their own apps; devs have more productive things to do with their time—especially on an OS they don't charge a nickle for.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What surprises me, is that it took the guy over 7 years before he made his first post.
    Just 'apt' remove snap, then if installs requests snap program. You'll know.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I use the snap version of Zoom client and unlike the Linux version on the zoom web site it is kept up to date by whoever is producing the snap version. I even get some controls over permissions when I open the zoom client page in the Ubuntu software store. Oh, by the way, I have just checked and Zoom client is at version 5.6. Thank you Oliver Grawert for building and maintaining this snap. I certainly feel safer than using the Debian package version supplied by the zoom people.

https://snapcraft.io/zoom-client

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast