Thread: Epson ET 14000 squirts way too much black on pictures

Beans

Epson ET 14000 squirts way too much black on pictures

Hi all,
    I was very happy with my Epson ET14000 printer until one day it squirted way too much black on pictures and kept doing that. I took it to the Epson service rep and got it back in exchange of 400+ francs. The defect persits. So the printer may not be not be at fault at all, rather the software processing the printer's input from the image file. I understand that there are color profiles, drivers, etc. They work very much in the background, so I don't know what and where they are. Anyone out there having or having had a similar experience, or a hunch what's going on?

Frederic

Code:
    Printer: EPSON ET-14000 Series
    Driver:    Epson WorkForce 1100 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.13 (color)
    Connection:    usb://EPSON/ET-14000%20Series?serial=574B47593030313666

fr@hatchbox-2:~$ sudo apt-get -s install cups
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    cups is already the newest version (2.2.7-1ubuntu2.8).
    Last edited by slickymaster; March 23rd, 2021 at 04:25 PM. Reason: code tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Epson ET 14000 squirts way too much black on pictures

Thread moved to Hardware.

Beans

Have you tried Epson's Linux driver?

https://esupportepson.com/epson-ecot...iver-download/

Beans

Thanks for the tip. The driver comes as rpm file only. Had to download and install 'alien' to convert rpm to deb. Here is what 'alien' said:
    . . .
    epson-inkjet-printer-201311w-1.0.1-1lsb3.2.src.rpm is for architecture i386 ; the package cannot be built on this system
    find epson-inkjet-printer-201311w-1.0.1 -type d -exec chmod 755 {} ;
    rm -rf epson-inkjet-printer-201311w-1.0.1

https://esupportepson.com offers no contact facility or information. Neither does https://epson.com. I'm expecting a return call from the service representative that did the repair job.

Beans

I'm a little confused by your post as it appears that this Epson printer has been working for you on Ubuntu for some time then suddenly started spraying black ink on the page, is that correct?
    After taking it to the Epson service representative, did it again work properly?
    Why do you think that it is software rather than hardware? If it had been working with whatever driver you had before I'm wondering why you would think you need a new driver? It's more likely to be a hardware problem. The software shouldn't change unless we're messing with configuration files.

epson-inkjet-printer-201311w-1.0.1-1lsb3.2.src.rpm is for architecture i386 ; the package cannot be built on this system
    Doesn't seem to be the correct driver for your system.
    Last edited by yancek; March 25th, 2021 at 02:49 PM.

Beans

ynacek, thanks for your response. Yes, the case is most confusing. The printer worked fine after I installed an Epson driver for the top-of-the-line 'Workforce' printer from the Epson website. It would have been a Linux driver, although googling away I keep coming across the remark that Epson doesn't provide Linux drivers. Anyway, when the color balance went bad, from one day to the next, without an intervening occurrence suggesting a cause, I confronted a line of suspects: foremost the printer, but also software conveying image data from the disk to the printer, a formatting diver, tweaking color profiles, possibly some processing firmware in the printer . . . Logically I took the machine to the Epson service representative. They overhauled it and put in a new printing head. They certainly wouldn't return it without testing. So I thought the prime suspect was off the hook and started this thread. figuring, if the printer had a design-related deficiency, it would be notorious by now, and also hoping to elicit some advice on drivers, profiles, that sort of thing. I reiterate: the defect causes the printer to print black where it shouldn't, giving all colors a dull, obscure appearance. I am expecting a return call from the service rep without expecting much help. They don't use Linux and as Epson doesn't seem to serve Linux, they can argue that Linux users are on their own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hook it up to a Win machine and see if it prints normally.

Beans

Is your EPSON ET-14000 Series recently purchased? Is the driver you reference in post #4 above the same driver you originally used? If you modified some configuration files, you might try restoring these files you modified from the original files you backed up.

They overhauled it and put in a new printing head. They certainly wouldn't return it without testing
    Did you ask why they put in a new printing head? Maybe just a guess on their part? I would certainly expect they would have tested it although how they did this is unknown, likely using a windows machine. As suggested above, you might try printing from a windows machine if you can which would eliminate hardware problems.

Beans

ynacek, thanks for your response. Yes, the case is most confusing. The printer worked fine after I installed an Epson driver for the top-of-the-line 'Workforce' printer from the Epson website. It would have been a Linux driver, although googling away I keep coming across the remark that Epson doesn't provide Linux drivers. Anyway, when the color balance went bad, from one day to the next, without an intervening occurrence suggesting a cause, I confronted a line of suspects: foremost the printer, but also software conveying image data from the disk to the printer, a formatting diver, tweaking color profiles, possibly some processing firmware in the printer . . . Logically I took the machine to the Epson service representative. They overhauled it and put in a new printing head. They certainly wouldn't return it without testing. So I thought the prime suspect was off the hook and started this thread. figuring, if the printer had a design-related deficiency, it would be notorious by now, and also hoping to elicit some advice on drivers, profiles, that sort of thing. I reiterate: the defect causes the printer to print black where it shouldn't, giving all colors a dull, obscure appearance. I am expecting a return call from the service rep without expecting much help. They don't use Linux and as Epson doesn't seem to serve Linux, they can argue that Linux users are on their own.

Beans

Forget the post preceding this one. It's a replay of a previous one. I have no idea why it repeats. Anyway, thanks for the good idea to hook up a Windows machine. I'll have to borrow one, though. I shall report back, probably not today.