Thread: Need Help to install Lubuntu (20.04.2) on using Virtualbox 6.1.18

Beans

Need Help to install Lubuntu (20.04.2) on using Virtualbox 6.1.18

Hello Ubuntu Forum!

I want and need to Install a form of Ubuntu on my:

Thinkpad X280
    Intel core i-5 8250U
    8gb ram

I need Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu cause i follow "the Odin Project" and I want to learn Programming.
    I just want to learn all the things running in the background and try to understand them,

(https://www.theodinproject.com/cours.../prerequisites) <-----That was the guide I used the first time with Ubuntu that worked, but was to slow!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxmGFsaOyks <---- This Video also helped me the first time to install guest-additions and a working fullscreen!

Whether what I have done in the end I cant install the guest-additions so that they are working.
    I have a really hard time to get my hands on Linux because of this.

What i have tried so far?

Ubuntu was the only distro that I could install the guest additions right, but I think my Thinkpad is to slow to use Full-Ubuntu.
    Then I tried ZorinOS, LXLE, Xubuntu, Lubuntu and with all them i had problems with installing the guest-additions and they were all very slow i mean like so slow that I cant work with it!

Also i tried using Vmware but it doesnt make any difference!

Are u still reading?

Then may u could read and go down the rabbit-hole i had a longer friendly conversation on reddit with Paddy Landau, I think he is also in this Forum.
    He really helped me with a lot of of things yesterday and it's a long thread with a lot of commands but in the end i dont have fullscreen sadly and i cant use it like that.As a Noob i cant get my head around it, how could it be that it is so hard!

But for all interesting in more details can visit this link https://www.reddit.com/r/KeePass/com...assxc_to_a_vm/.
    Cause its complicated to describe all commands i typed!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Need Help to install Lubuntu (20.04.2) on using Virtualbox 6.1.18

Thread moved to Virtualisation for a better fit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a laptop with this same setup, but using KVM as the hypervisor with virt-manager. It is very fast, including running VMs.
    Intel core i5 8250U
    8gb ram
    If your VMs aren't getting about 90% of native performance, then something isn't setup right. With a better hypervisor, say KVM, we can get 95% native performance for everything that isn't a GUI. GUIs always struggle inside VMs. While not for the exact version of vbox you have, this article will cover the main performance tuning needs: https://blog.jdpfu.com/2012/09/14/so...-in-virtualbox The major ideas are all still valid for every hypervisor. The comments explain some stuff too. If you are new, only have 1 hypervisor installed on a system at a time to prevent conflicts.

To learn RoR or whatever the Javascript stuff is they teach, you don't need any specific flavor of Ubuntu or any specific Linux. Pick whatever you like. There are how-to guides for setting up the development environments for all the popular distros. I learned RoR development and TTD on Ubuntu about a decade ago. Afterward, I ended up running back to Perl for a number of reasons - mainly stability of the APIs and libraries. Has RoR stopped repaving the language and Rails every other year yet?

And don't get me started about Javascript.

As a software developer, you'll need to learn to use man pages. Every command on your system has a manpage that spells out what the command does, all the options available, what each option does, and a few caveats. Some manpages are small, others are works of art - really impressive.
    Last edited by TheFu; March 22nd, 2021 at 11:44 PM.

Beans

Thank you im sorry i have chosen the wrong part of the forum!

Beans

Thanks!
    i will go through this and hope i get this working.
    First have to learn what a hypervisor is an go through the blog you linked me.
    I think they have not stopped to update the rails part but you can choose at one point if you want to go for javascript and node or net or Rails.

Yes i have to learn to read documentation at first, but i have gone nuts why i cant install the guest-additions on Linux.
    Without fullscreen i cant do anything on my VM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Virtualbox is an hypervisor. There are many other.

In any Ubuntu you can install the guest additions directly by the Ubuntu repository, no need to use the script provided by the "insert guest additions...".

Beans

Why do you need guest additions?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Virtualbox is an hypervisor. There are many other.

In any Ubuntu you can install the guest additions directly by the Ubuntu repository, no need to use the script provided by the "insert guest additions...".
    i didn't know that, how would i do that can you explain it or prove me with a link!
    Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Why do you need guest additions?
    Cause i dont have fullscreen!

Beans

Update!

I installed vmware and Lubuntu 20.04.2 cause of vmware's easy installation, guest-additions installed by itself.
    I have given the VM 4gb ram and 3 cpu cores they work like a charm!
    So finally i can learn Linux :=)

How can i mark the thread as "solved"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast