Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dd command for creating iso file.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: dd command for creating iso file.

I don't know how your bootable usb was created. If it was created using dd or something like that, some information was lost when creating the bootable usb: the size of the original .iso. But if you know for sure that it was less than 5GB, you can tell dd to copy exactly 5GB and it should work. If the bootable usb was created using some other tool, it's impossible to say. As the file system on the usb is 7.4GB, it appears this was not created using a simple file copy, so the latter seems to be the case and you have to copy all of it to create a usable .iso.

A virtual machine can boot from an .iso file. Your usb drive is a file with the same contents as the .iso you want to create from it. So the virtual machine can boot from the usb drive too. The only advantage of first copying the usb to an .iso is that the latter may run a bit faster. And indeed, you have to copy from the very beginning of the drive, to make sure you include the bootloader.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can Windows run from read-only media? IDK. I've never seen that outside the installer.

dd has bs= and count= options. These can be used to limit how much data is copied, but dd is stupid. It expects the admin to know where the data is inside the device, which can seldom be determined from Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Surely dd can not create an .ISO image but it's often used to copy byte for byte from an .ISO to a USB.

I think the OP has either asked the wrong question or is totally confused about using dd with .ISO image files.

Beans

Thanks for your replies.I doesn't know a lot about dd command .For the simplicity of my question I have have a usb contain some data and i want to make an iso file so I may burn DVD with it now which tool may I use for that ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gardenair View Post
    Thanks for your replies.I doesn't know a lot about dd command .For the simplicity of my question I have have a usb contain some data and i want to make an iso file so I may burn DVD with it now which tool may I use for that ?
    There are probably 5 GUI tools for burning optical disks. K3b comes to my mind, but I haven't used it in at least a decade. There's a website - alternativeto.net which can be used to enter a tool you know and find ... er ... Alternatives To it. Then filter by OS.

There's also genisoimage.
    Code:
    NAME
           genisoimage  -  create  ISO9660/Joliet/HFS filesystem with optional Rock Ridge
           attributes

SYNOPSIS
           genisoimage [options] [-o filename] pathspec [pathspec ...]
    I have serious doubts that Windows can be run from a read-only format - which is what an ISO file system is. A currently running Windows will have settings that point to the swap file, which will also be read-only inside the ISO. That can't be good. OTOH, you'll not know until you try. Could be fun.
    Last edited by TheFu; March 22nd, 2021 at 09:17 PM. Reason: bold - k3b

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Having created an iso file of the various files and folders of your choice, which is quite easily done using most CD burner applications, what exactly do you want to do with it.

Simply creating an .iso file from them will not mean that it is a bootable image iso if that's what you are tring to do; that is quite different.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; March 22nd, 2021 at 09:17 PM.

Beans

Well my primary concern is not to create any boot-able ISO image. I want that any data in the USB (if there is any boot-able OS files or any sort of picture) may convert into iso image.
    Yes there are many GUI app to burning or creating ISO file but i am interested to do it via terminal command.if there is any utility then it will be nice otherwise will use GUI .

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Check out bootiso: https://www.2daygeek.com/bootiso-a-s...from-iso-file/
    You could alter the script for your needs.

Personally i wouldn't bother with any of that. A VM can directly access data on a USB stick plugged into the host machine, no need for said files to be inside an ISO.

Beans

@gardernair All good with you ? You need start Virtual Box with sudo to have USB drive access. sudo virtualbox. I had the same issue and using the command above was possible start USB.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aug7744 View Post
    @gardernair All good with you ? You need start Virtual Box with sudo to have USB drive access. sudo virtualbox. I had the same issue and using the command above was possible start USB.
    NO, NO, NO! That is potentially very dangerous and should never be done.

There is absolutely no need to run VBox as root to have access to a USB drive attached to the host; what you do need is to add the Guest Extension pack the most recent of which you get from https://download.virtualbox.org/virt...8.vbox-extpack to the VBox program itself than add the guest additions to your guest VM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast