Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I create a program launcher to starte an .exe in WINE?

Beans

Re: How do I create a program launcher to starte an .exe in WINE?

Okay, using Dennis_N's example I was able to create a desktop file (program launcher) for my application. It works! Only catch is it is a blank icon on my desktop (an empty space with the icon's name beneath it). Reading online, I understand I can add the "icon=" parameter to the desktop entry.
    Buy where do I store the icon bitmap (or find it) to use?

The windows application I'm trying to start under wine is an Amiga emulator (WInUAE) and I'd like to make a nice icon that looks like the Amiga logo (or something). I don't know where to store that icon graphic so the "icon=" parameter knows where to look for it.

Thanks.

(PS: I know linux has its own native Amiga emulator FS-UAE).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Brent_Santin View Post
    Only catch is it is a blank icon on my desktop (an empty space with the icon's name beneath it). Reading online, I understand I can add the "icon=" parameter to the desktop entry.
    Buy where do I store the icon bitmap (or find it) to use?
    Read the sticky in the Gaming sub-forum.

Beans

I don't know where to store that icon graphic so the "icon=" parameter knows where to look for it.
    I think the location is up to you. What is important in the Icon= line is to use the full path (starting from / ) to the icon.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    I think the location is up to you. What is important in the Icon= line is to use the full path (starting from / ) to the icon.
    You don't need to use the full path.

You can use the full path, or you can put the icon where it will be picked up by the themeing system, in which case you don't need the path or the extension, it will just work automatically with the name. And pick up a theme-specific icon if it exists.

Gee, if only there were an easy-to-follow guide that explained how to do this. But however would you find such a thing?
    Last edited by CatKiller; March 23rd, 2021 at 04:28 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    You don't need to use the full path.

You can use the full path, or you can put the icon where it will be picked up by the themeing system, in which case you don't need the path or the extension, it will just work automatically with the name. And pick up a theme-specific icon if it exists.

Gee, if only there were an easy-to-follow guide that explained how to do this. But however would you find such a thing?
    A couple of comments:

For this particular program (Across Lite), I knew there was no existing icon in my icon theme. So I made the icon myself (with Inkscape). Using a full path makes it work with any icon theme, even if I change my icon theme, or if the theme is upgraded.

Also, If you put your new custom icon in an icon theme's folder, it may be lost by an upgrade to the icon theme.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Also, If you put your new custom icon in an icon theme's folder, it may be lost by an upgrade to the icon theme.
    Hicolor is the fallback for all themes. It doesn't get upgraded. The user's own hicolor won't get changed even if it did, and is higher priority than the system's hicolor. A different icon would only be used if the user's chosen theme provided one that fits better with the theme, which is generally what everyone would want.

Beans

Beans

I would say just make a full path to the customized icon you create and you can forget about it after that.
    Last edited by Dennis N; March 23rd, 2021 at 07:14 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    That's it. Newspapers years ago used to publish these puzzles with their online newspapers, and you could download the puzzles for the player. I used it in Windows XP before switching to Linux in 2007. But I don't know of any now that use them. The Across Lite puzzles were way too easy for most crossword fans.

Beans

Thanks everyone. This thread and the sticky in the Games & Entertainment section helped me to finally understand how to create a desktop launcher!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12