Thread: adding RAM while in hibernated state

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

adding RAM while in hibernated state

Hi everyone,

More curiosity than anything else:
    If I put my Ubuntu (20.10 Kubuntu) into hibernate, then open the laptop and add RAM to it, will it start normally and recognize the new RAM stick? Or should I shut down instead (e.g in case the kernel only detects new RAM when the system actually boots)?
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: adding RAM while in hibernated state

Shutdown fully!

I think you are asking for trouble messing around with hardware when the system is hibernated.
    I do not use hibernation any more; I never found it any quicker getting back to a full desktop than a full shutdown though I do use suspend mostly and only normally reboot when a kernel update demands it, meaning uptime can be s few weeks sometimes.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

+1 with ajgreeny. NEVER do anything like that unless machine is totally shut down.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What does the instruction manual say? Does it advise removing the laptop's batteries? I have a desktop machine and when I do anything inside the case I switch off the mains power. I also enter the BIOS/UEFI settings utility to see if it detects the new RAM modules before I boot the OS.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Shutdown fully!

I think you are asking for trouble messing around with hardware when the system is hibernated.
    I do not use hibernation any more; I never found it any quicker getting back to a full desktop than a full shutdown though I do use suspend mostly and only normally reboot when a kernel update demands it, meaning uptime can be s few weeks sometimes.
    Thanks for the replies. I realise it was a dumb question. I will shut down!

I was using hibernation for a while because suspend didn't work (i later traced the problem to a UEFI issue and did a BIOS update to resolve it).
    I haven't found a manual but there are Youtube repair videos about my laptop model which tell viewers to disconnect the battery.
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not a dumb question. I remember years ago my brother got a video card. The instructions were to put in while the system was live. It worked. But I have no doubt there is a reason that no one does that anymore. Think along the same vein as changing a radiator cap. Off works, but it needs to be completely cooled down to remove any risk (does this make sense?).