Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there any need Firewall software for Home PC ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Is there any need Firewall software for Home PC ?

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Frankly I find clam horrible, it slow and ties up the processor. I'm not a security expert but I've never had clamav ever catch anything.
    Same. All I've gotten when I've run ClamAV is false positives.

The same can be said for other AV too.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Is there any need Firewall software for Home PC ?

clam scan run on home folder via clamtk :

Attachment 288355

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

Is there any need of Firewall software to protect my PC while i am online ?
    Thanks
    IMHO, probability is a more important factor. Folks that use linux are a bit more technically sophisticated than the general windows population. So, the changes of being a target of a virus or malware is lower since there linux users are less apt to click on an unknown email attachment, etc.

Detection or Prevention; nothing has been said about prevention. If you have a good ad blocker such as Ublock Origin, then much of the malware, embedded in ad's will be blocked again lowering the probability factor.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

you don't need a firewall if everything in your network is secure. but it is an added layer you should include. it should not be on the same machine as other stuff. on the router is ideal, in theory. but, many routers are poorly designed and weak at security. a false sense of security is a bad idea unless you are running it as a honeypot.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    you don't need a firewall if everything in your network is secure. but it is an added layer you should include. it should not be on the same machine as other stuff. on the router is ideal, in theory. but, many routers are poorly designed and weak at security. a false sense of security is a bad idea unless you are running it as a honeypot.
    You should be running a firewall on any client machine regardless if you think your network is secure or not.

Ideally, you would have your network segmented and any risky devices such as game consoles, smart TVs, or other IoT junk should be on their own subnet and blocked from communicating with anything on the trusted network.

I'd probably go so far as to say you should do the same for the guest network as well.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12