Thread: ubuntu 20.04 4k monitors

Beans

ubuntu 20.04 4k monitors

I'm buying two monitors I would like to purchase 4K models, but don't know how well they would work on Ubuntu 20.04.2
    Any suggestions as to what would be the most stable 4K monitor for Ubuntu would be great.
    I do some photo editing, surfing the net and Netflix.

i7-8700
    GeForce GTX 970
    Last edited by Mike E Tomlinson; March 19th, 2021 at 08:28 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: ubuntu 20.04 4k monitors

The majority of issues don't involve the monitors but the video subsystem. I don't use nVidia cards, so you will have to wait for others to chime in on that score, but:

1. Is your GTX 970 capable of driving 4K?
    2. Do you have the appropriately versioned cables?
    3. Do you intend on using DP or HDMI?
    4. Is a dual monitor setup involved?
    5. Are you planning on a KVM switch?

Others would want to know this info before they can help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Exclamation Re: ubuntu 20.04 4k monitors

The soonest nVIDIA® video display adapters that will drive at least 8192 x 2160 total pixels, a need that was on the horizon when the Maxwells were in preproduction, are Pascals. The GM204 in your GTX 970 isn't rated for dual-4K's, unlike the GP104 in a geForce® GTX 1080. I've a need for dual displays myself, but of far less demanding resolution for a projection 'puter for OMS Japanese Christian Church (Walnut Creek, CA, USA); the Gateway®/acer® HD2201 is sufficient for Application through a DVI-A connection from the msi® N610GT-1GD3-LP (nVIDIA GF119) installed in a modified emachines®/acer® EL1210 (driver-support concerns may indicate some low-profile GT 730 (nVIDIA GK208) in for the N610GT), and I've an adapter to tie the HDMI to an EPSON® projector that only takes DE-15 analog for the old IBM® Expanded Graphics Array™ and 8514/A Graphics Processor.
    Last edited by bcschmerker; March 21st, 2021 at 04:53 AM.
    Video Drivers:
    nVIDIA® nForce® chipsets require discrete GPU's up to Kepler and appropriate nVIDIA Kernel modules.
    Most intel® ExpressSets™ and AMD® RS-Series are fully supported in open source.

Beans

Thank you for the suggestion as to what I should ask.
    1. Yes it is but limited to old games or just desk work.
    2. No cable yet, still looking into info as to how Ubuntu will work with one
    3. I would like to run DP but my card only has one DP port
    4. It will be a dual monitor setup for sure.
    5. No, no switch

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcschmerker View Post
    The soonest nVIDIA® video display adapters that will drive at least 8192 x 2160 total pixels, a need that was on the horizon when the Maxwells were in preproduction, are Pascals. The GM204 in your GTX 970 isn't rated for dual-4K's, unlike the GP104 in a geForce® GTX 1080. I've a need for dual displays myself, but of far less demanding resolution for a projection 'puter for OMS Japanese Christian Church (Walnut Creek, CA, USA); the Gateway®/acer® HD2201 is sufficient for Application through a DVI-A connection from the msi® N610GT-1GD3-LP (nVIDIA GF119) installed in a modified emachines®/acer® EL1210 (driver-support concerns may indicate some low-profile GT 730 (nVIDIA GK208) in for the N610GT), and I've an adapter to tie the HDMI to an EPSON® projector that only takes DE-15 analog for the old IBM® Expanded Graphics Array™ and 8514/A Graphics Processor.
    Sorry I missed your post. I Answered the first one, then seen yours. Thank you for the info.
    I have been at this for about a month and have done a fair bit if research on the 4k monitors and Video cards
    What I have found out from reading many articles, is that my card will run two 4k monitors as long as I don't play the Graphic intensive games. That is in Windows ( I don't use widows ever) so I'm trying to find out if Ubuntu will run 4k. What I have read I don't know if it's true or not. You could be right.