Thread: Python 2 issues after upgrade to 20.04 on production server

Beans

Python 2 issues after upgrade to 20.04 on production server

Our production scripts are currently in python 2. It is on my schedule to upgrade them to Python 3. I don't have the time to change the code at the moment, other pressing matters, but our production crew went ahead and upgraded the server to 20.04 and while everyone was crossing their fingers, we've hit our first snag.

Our production scripts use termcolor and python-termcolor doesn't exist in Focal. There is a Focal python3-termcolor and there is python-termcolor for older Ubuntus.

pip does not seem to exist even though python-pip-whl is installed.

Can someone guide me out of this mess?

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Python 2 issues after upgrade to 20.04 on production server

Quote Originally Posted by raydude View Post
    Our production scripts are currently in python 2. It is on my schedule to upgrade them to Python 3. I don't have the time to change the code at the moment, other pressing matters, but our production crew went ahead and upgraded the server to 20.04 and while everyone was crossing their fingers, we've hit our first snag.
    FYI https://docs.python.org/3/library/2to3.html
    Our production scripts use termcolor and python-termcolor doesn't exist in Focal. There is a Focal python3-termcolor and there is python-termcolor for older Ubuntus.
    Don't use the termcolor package but it looks like python3-termcolor is the original code repackaged for python3. Look under "Download Source Package" here: https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/python3-termcolor

pip does not seem to exist even though python-pip-whl is installed.
    It's pip3 in focal:
    Code:
    $ which pip3
    /usr/bin/pip3
    HTH

Beans

Thanks. But I don't have time to update the scripts. I need to get python 2 working. I need to install python-termcolor (for python 2) to get the scripts working. I need pip2, not pip3.

There are thousands of lines of python 2.6 code written by many people over the course of ten years and I can't risk running it through a conversion script in our production environment where downtime matters.

But I definitely will use that script as a starting place for when I do the official update (outside of production) later this year. I really appreciate that. I had no idea it existed.

Is there a way to get termcolor working in python 2.7?

Beans

I downloaded the source and used ./setup.py install to install the package. Now I have to do the same with paramiko.

Beans

You could roll back to 18.04, which has three more years of support, and convert to python3 at your leisure.