Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu control bottom two buttons on Thinkpad t410 touchpad?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu control bottom two buttons on Thinkpad t410 touchpad?

you need to use x.org, then installing xserver-xorg-input-synaptics would add additional options for synaptics in system settings as this would install the old driver. at least that's how it is in Kubuntu where you get additional panel for settings like turning off the touch pad when the mouse is plugged in and similar.

if it causes any issues, it can be uninstalled.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Thanks for the thoughts, mastablasta. I'll check out x.org.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    The Wacom driver is for graphic tablets made by Wacom and possibly some other similar devices, so if you've got one of those connected that would explain why it's installed. Otherwise you do seem to be using libinput. I don't understand why the '--list' option prints the state for both the additional buttons as '2' (middle button, normally). Perhaps it's not printing physical buttons but the logical buttons assigned to them ? Let's check:
    Code:
    xinput --get-button-map 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'
    This should print a list of the all logical button numbers for each physical button, so for my pad it prints '1 2 3 4 5 6 7'.

Holger

Holger, do you have any thoughts about next steps I should try? That command returns the same for me: '1 2 3 4 5 6 7'.

Beans

If the 'Button Labels' list in "xinput --list 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad' " is the same as mine in my original post then the xinput driver doesn't handle the additional buttons. If that's the case, then mastablasta's idea of installing the old synaptics driver might be the best bet especially since your pad actually is identified as a Synaptics pad. The only problems I see is that the manual pages for the driver and the utility 'synclient' don't make any mention of additional buttons except as emulated button that are actually mapped to tapping in the corners of the pad.

Holger

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    If the 'Button Labels' list in "xinput --list 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad' " is the same as mine in my original post then the xinput driver doesn't handle the additional buttons. If that's the case, then mastablasta's idea of installing the old synaptics driver might be the best bet especially since your pad actually is identified as a Synaptics pad. The only problems I see is that the manual pages for the driver and the utility 'synclient' don't make any mention of additional buttons except as emulated button that are actually mapped to tapping in the corners of the pad.

Holger
    Thank again, Holger. I'll investigate the x.org solution again. I'm such a newbie that the instructions for going that direction were kind of baffling me, but I'll give it some more study and see if I can figure out how to implement it. One thing that's making me hesitate is that other than this one snag, my system's running great, and I'm a little wary of screwing it up with my experimentation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You probably need to move to xorg first (in login screen there should be an option to switch to xorg session)

To install the old Synaptics driver:

Code:
    sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    if it doesn't work or is causing trouble uninstall it with:

Code:
    sudo apt remove xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    If you don't like to mess with command line, then open software center find a program called Synaptic package manager and then manage packages in there. Here is a short youtube video showing how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fmjOxZ0t9w

Synaptic package manager is old but still a very useful tool. Kubuntu uses Muon Package manager which looks and acts rather similar.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

xinput wouldn't work if you weren't already using X11. X11R7 is a protocol for the communication between applications that need to display graphics and a display server that makes the hardware do that. xorg (or x.org) is one specific implementation of a display server. It happens to be the one that Ubuntu uses . The only thing left to do is installing the package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and a simple 'sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics' should take care of that. The driver comes with a command line tool named synclient for making a lot of settings which xinput doesn't know about - options to change the curve(s) for pointer acceleration or for changing scrolling speed and more - but I vaguely recall using xinput with the synaptic driver several years ago.

Holger

Beans

Thanks for further information, Mastablasta and Holger. I'm off to experiment with it now, and I'll report results. I appreciate your help.

Beans

OK. I managed to install the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics from the command line. I also installed the synaptics package manager for good measure. My Gnome mouse settings didn't change, and I'm not seeing any controls for remapping the physical buttons at the bottom of the touchpad. I've poked around a little more online and I agree, Holger, I'm not seeing any mention of using it to control the actions of the physical buttons--mostly a lot of variations for reproducing various functions on the touchpad surface itself. Maybe the two buttons I refer to in my original post aren't really part of the "touchpad" set of tools. Hmmm..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12