Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to use an XBOX controller with a dual boot linux/windows machine

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I want to use an XBOX controller with a dual boot linux/windows machine

I would like to use a controller for minecraft instead of keyboard buttons and mouse due to finger problems.

Can anyone suggest which wifi (preferably) controller would work 'out of the box' with 20.04?

Failing on the 'out of the box' part, how about a working guide to get it working as I have done some research during which I found lots of different help which may of may not work.

Beans

Re: I want to use an XBOX controller with a dual boot linux/windows machine

Its all about how hard it is to map keys. If you can map the. The. The sky is the limit.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You probably mean Bluetooth rather than WiFi.

More controllers work than don't. I've used a DualShock 3 and a Steam controller with no problems, and I understand that the DS4, DualSense, Logitech controllers and 8bitdo controllers all work fine. I believe that one model of Xbox controller is particularly finicky and needs extra software, but I can't remember which one since it's not something I have any interest in using.

The easiest way to use a controller for Minecraft is to add it as a non-Steam game to Steam. Big Picture Mode works best. Then you can use Steam's own controller support and control remapping to set it all up how you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    You probably mean Bluetooth rather than WiFi.

More controllers work than don't. I've used a DualShock 3 and a Steam controller with no problems, and I understand that the DS4, DualSense, Logitech controllers and 8bitdo controllers all work fine. I believe that one model of Xbox controller is particularly finicky and needs extra software, but I can't remember which one since it's not something I have any interest in using.

The easiest way to use a controller for Minecraft is to add it as a non-Steam game to Steam. Big Picture Mode works best. Then you can use Steam's own controller support and control remapping to set it all up how you want.
    That sound good. 'Big Picture Mode'? A steam setting?

Yes, testing controllers would be expensive.

I did actually mean wifi rather than bluetooth thinking that I had seen them on amazon.
    Last edited by makem2; March 17th, 2021 at 02:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by makem2 View Post
    That sound good. 'Big Picture Mode'? A steam setting?
    Yes. It's the Steam interface designed for using at a distance with a controller.

I've remembered another quirk of using Minecraft in Steam for the controller support: you need to set it so that the launcher stays open. As far as Steam is concerned, it's the launcher that you wanted to run, so that's what it sends the controller inputs to. If the launcher closes when you launch the game then Steam doesn't know to send the inputs to the game instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Yes. It's the Steam interface designed for using at a distance with a controller.

I've remembered another quirk of using Minecraft in Steam for the controller support: you need to set it so that the launcher stays open. As far as Steam is concerned, it's the launcher that you wanted to run, so that's what it sends the controller inputs to. If the launcher closes when you launch the game then Steam doesn't know to send the inputs to the game instead.
    Thank you for your input.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

when searchign for controller you might want to check what is selling on sites that sell raspbery pi. they are pretested and usually work out of the box with linux. i found (searching for best linux controlers) that some xbox controllers and controllers made for xbox and PS4 work well. i was reading up on it as well as i was thinking of using my current old machine as old games machine. there are a couple of reviews out there and you can check them out. Some slightly cheaper "ocpies" provide good quality and experience.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, I borrowed an xbox one controller and got it paired via Bluetooth. However it cannot connect giving an Input/output error.

The Big Picture mode says no device connected.

Using a usb connectionI can raise the Big Picture mode and change setting although I left at default.

My problem now is to somehow tell minecraft to use the controller via steam. Cannot figure out how to do that.

I was under the impression that if MC was opened via steam then steam control settings worked without any changes in MC.

Edit: Forgot to mention that using usb I can change setting in Big Picture mode using the controller.
    Last edited by makem2; March 18th, 2021 at 04:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by makem2 View Post
    My problem now is to somehow tell minecraft to use the controller via steam. Cannot figure out how to do that.
    There's a page in the per-game Steam configuration that says what you want each button to do. Tell it that you want the buttons to give keypresses and mouseclicks and whatever. Minecraft doesn't need to know that you're using a controller.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well this IS disappointing!

I borrowed another Xbox One controller and was able to pair and connect. Able to use it in Big Picture mode, but, still cant figure out how to tell minecraft to use the controller!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast