Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the 21.04 nightlies and alphas/betas update to final?

Beans

Will the 21.04 nightlies and alphas/betas update to final?

I really would like to move away from Windows to Ubuntu today instead of waiting a bit more than a month for the final release of 21.04. If I install 21.04 and keep it up to date, will it, by the final 21.04 release, basically be the same as the final release?

Or is it generally best to reinstall the final version if keeping non-final versions can still produce stability and other issues?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Will the 21.04 nightlies and alphas/betas update to final?

Moved to Development sub-forum since not about current release.

We get this question with every new Ubuntu version.

Yes, it will be the same.
    It just with all the updates, your log files & other cruft will be large. If you are knowledgeable on major housecleaning you can continue to use it. It is not a LTS - long term support version, so will be updating again in 9 months.

I typically use current LTS as main working install, but install each new version just to test it. If I plan to keep it, then I do a totally new install with the final version. Back in 2016, I had to use daily with new build before it was released as I needed all the new kernels and other updates. But then reinstalled.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Moved to Development sub-forum since not about current release.

We get this question with every new Ubuntu version.

Yes, it will be the same.
    It just with all the updates, your log files & other cruft will be large. If you are knowledgeable on major housecleaning you can continue to use it. It is not a LTS - long term support version, so will be updating again in 9 months.

I typically use current LTS as main working install, but install each new version just to test it. If I plan to keep it, then I do a totally new install with the final version. Back in 2016, I had to use daily with new build before it was released as I needed all the new kernels and other updates. But then reinstalled.
    It kind of sounds like you contradict yourself a little at first you say it will be the same, but then you say you had to use a daily for a while and decided to reinstall it once the final was released. If it's the same and you experienced and expected no issues, why did you choose to reinstall?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by t9yz3w4ogbvn7w View Post
    It kind of sounds like you contradict yourself a little at first you say it will be the same, but then you say you had to use a daily for a while and decided to reinstall it once the final was released. If it's the same and you experienced and expected no issues, why did you choose to reinstall?
    You need to read more attentively.

Beans

Why not install 20.04? It is supported for 4 more years, 21.04 is only supported for 9 months before needing to upgrade.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

If you install a daily and upgrade packages as normal; eg. my system currently reports as

Code:
    guiverc@d960-ubu2:/de2900/kubuntu_64$   lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu Hirsute Hippo (development branch)
    Release:        21.04
    Codename:       hirsute
    you'll find, usually a few days (but even hours) before release time the "Description" will change and it'll become the fully Ubuntu 21.04 system.

I bumped to hirsute about 30 hours after groovy became 20.10, and I'll do the same when hirsute becomes 21.04 (the only variable is the when, it could be 30, 36, 42 hours etc). Adevelopment release can be treated as a normal release, just upgrades/changes occur more often, and you've more risk for issues occurring, less support options (many sites don't allow development support questions, or fewer people can provide help as don't use them), but I treat it as the same. I dual boot, so if the box is broken I can always reboot & use my other backup system (currentlystill bionic)

fyi: I'd suggest using `sudo apt full-upgrade` to ensure all upgraded packages are installed, there are circumstances where `apt upgrade` can not install upgrades (which is really useful! but if you're not aware of that fact it can lead to support questions).

Beans

Thank you.
    P.S I found this (from the sticky I failed to read): https://wiki.ubuntu.com/U%2B1/common-problems
    If I install the alpha/beta now, do I need to reinstall the final version when it's released?

You don't have to (Update Manager will let you upgrade to the final version), but you may want to, if one or more of the below apply:

• You have tweaked your testing installation to a point where you're not aware of its exact components and configuration
    • You have replaced essential components of your installation with versions from external repositories/PPAs
    • You have used package installation scripts or similar tools which are not trusted by the Ubuntu development community
    • You have applied hacks/workarounds for testing purposes for good reason (prompted during structured testing, bug triage etc.), which may cause problems during daily usage of a stable installation
    • You're affected by potential corner cases that may require a reinstall to fix (which will be documented in the release notes)
    Last edited by t9yz3w4ogbvn7w; March 17th, 2021 at 03:42 AM.

Beans

They use the same sources as the stable version so simply run updates as normal and you'll go from development to stable. No additional steps are required

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unless you are eager and willing to engage in a learning experience I suggest that you use the LTS Version on your primary everyday system. If you choose to use a dev version please don't blame anyone on this forum for your results. With Linux in general you are your own system engineer without regard to whose advice you may follow. I suggest you put /Home on its own partition no matter what you decide. Don't reformat /Home if you reinstall and your data should be ok. Anything other than LTS is a dev version even if it is released. That is the reason for the short update window. Either way you go a newly released version my have problems with some software for the first thirty days after the release and possibly beyond that. The problems are not as bad as in the past but still occur. When you get past the learning curve things get pretty lazy and you may need another hobby. I built a house with the time I saved by dropping Windows.
    Welcome to Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zebra2 View Post
    Unless you are eager and willing to engage in a learning experience I suggest that you use the LTS Version on your primary everyday system. If you choose to use a dev version please don't blame anyone on this forum for your results. With Linux in general you are your own system engineer without regard to whose advice you may follow. I suggest you put /Home on its own partition no matter what you decide. Don't reformat /Home if you reinstall and your data should be ok. Anything other than LTS is a dev version even if it is released. That is the reason for the short update window. Either way you go a newly released version my have problems with some software for the first thirty days after the release and possibly beyond that. The problems are not as bad as in the past but still occur. When you get past the learning curve things get pretty lazy and you may need another hobby. I built a house with the time I saved by dropping Windows.
    Welcome to Linux.
    I had actually just tried installing the latest LTS the other day. Unfortunately with my hardware and it being on kernel 5.8, I am missing out on things. On my RX 6800 and Ryzen 5600x I was unable to even change the refresh rate - the option was just missing, and it was in 1024x768 - this is all after making sure the system is fully up to date. Whereas with 21.04 it works great. I don't want to go through PPAs and doing any workarounds to get things working =/ my barrier of entry to entry distro for me is - if it doesn't work right out of the box with my hardware, it's not for me.

That's why I was thinking 21.04 might be my best option for the time being.

Thanks a lot for the /home tip! Would make distro swapping easy and/or reinstalls
    Last edited by t9yz3w4ogbvn7w; March 19th, 2021 at 09:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast