Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will the 21.04 nightlies and alphas/betas update to final?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Will the 21.04 nightlies and alphas/betas update to final?

Quote Originally Posted by t9yz3w4ogbvn7w View Post
    I
    That's why I was thinking 21.04 might be my best option for the time being.
    Thanks a lot for the /home tip! Would make distro swapping easy and/or reinstalls
    Sounds like a good plan to me. In addition I suggest you create a separate /swap partition also and avoid using Ubuntu's new "swap file". If the swap partition is present the swap file won't be created by the system.

So it looks like this with three partitions.
    /swap
    / "root"
    /home

I suggest that you keep Windows 10 on a separate computer and not dual boot. Dual boot can be a messy bog for Linux beginners.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

+1 on zebra2 suggestion.

But if UEFI system and UEFI install, you also need an ESP - efi system partition for UEFI boot files. Not to be confused with a Linux /boot partition which for desktops usually is not required. If LVM and encrypted install, then you may want a /boot.

The ESP is FAT32 and 300 to 500MB. Only if small drive like a flash drive may you then want a smaller ESP like 100MB.

And if UEFI use gpt partitioning.
    Windows requires gpt for UEFI install, but Ubuntu will let you use the now 40 year old MBR partitioning with UEFI and it really should not.
    With gparted select gpt under device, advanced over msdos(MBR) default partitioning before starting.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

If You don't have a windows partition the ESP FAT32 partition can be smaller. I have 5 different install of Ubuntu Linux in 5 partitions and my ESP partition is 250MB used less than 22% so only 55MB.
    Last edited by corradoventu; March 19th, 2021 at 05:22 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zebra2 View Post
    Sounds like a good plan to me. In addition I suggest you create a separate /swap partition also and avoid using Ubuntu's new "swap file". If the swap partition is present the swap file won't be created by the system.

So it looks like this with three partitions.
    /swap
    / "root"
    /home

I suggest that you keep Windows 10 on a separate computer and not dual boot. Dual boot can be a messy bog for Linux beginners.
    Thank you. Why is root in air quotes? And is there a reference for this "swap file" someone could link to? This would be for a desktop without hibernation. Is a swap partition still recommended in that case?

Beans
    Distro

root is in quotes because the / is root. Regarding the swap file, it is a variable sized file inside of the /root and it is still in a dev stage. I have always used a 4Gig partition for /swap but many recommend a /swap the same size as installed RAM. I personally think it would be rare for a system to sleep more than 2G of RAM but then I personally do not use the sleep function. You will get a different answer on this swap matter from everyone that own a linux based system. The swap file idea was evolved from the need for those that have an encrypted system to have the swap(file) inside of the encrypted partition and not on a not encrypted swap partition which could be a possible security breech. The swap partition will be faster and more stable though. Your choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12