Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last update crashed my Nvidia driver.

Beans

Last update crashed my Nvidia driver.

When I updated Ubuntu Mate 20.10 today (3-15-2021), it crashed my Nvidia 460 driver. I don't know if I actually fixed the problem. I restarted in recovery mode with the previous version and fixed broken packages. When I ran Software Update, it said there were no updates. I don't know if I just booted up in the previous version. It wants me to delete the other files, and I'm not going to do that until I know I'm fine. I did rebuild the 460 driver in apt just before I restarted in the recovery mode, but the resolution was 640x480 so I restarted in recovery mode with the previous version. I don't know if when I continued booting if it loaded the newest install or the version I started up recovery mode in. You probably shouldn't allow the update of both the video driver and a major update of the OS at the same time. It looks fine now, but I don't know if I'm in the other previous update version or if I'm stuck in it until I reinstall the OS. It's a serious pain in the ass to have the video driver compiling crash in an update, and you end up being stuck with a corrupted driver.It should just revert back the the previous version of the driver if there is a problem with the compiling process. I mean, losing the video driver is down right scary!

Beans

Re: Last update crashed my Nvidia driver.

The latest version of the nvidia driver is 5.8.0-44

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by daniewicz View Post
    The latest version of the nvidia driver is 5.8.0-44
    No, that's the kernel version, nothing to do with Nvidia drivers.

Beans

Yes you are correct.

Driver is 460.39

Could it be that the updated kernel is causing the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes it could especially if you are using a 5.08 kernel. I had all sorts of problems and went back to the 5.04.

Beans

I am on 5.8.0-45 and there was also an update to nvidia drivers, and all is well.

Beans

I am on 5.8.0-44-generic with no problem.

Beans

I do have similar problem with last update (3-15-2021), but with nvidia-driver-390 (390.141). Also on Ubuntu MATE.

The problem seems to be with kernel version 5.8.0-45. With 5.8.0-44 everything is fine like before.

For the kernel 5.8.0-45 (newer) the driver seems to be there but is not working with it's good quality. I can see the proprietary driver selected in Control Panel -> Additional Drivers, however I can't see nvidia being listed with
    Code:
    [sudo] lshw -c video | grep configuration
    The resolution is lower and the games are not working.

I can switch to kernel 5.8.0-44 with grub and use my system like before. Can't use the newer kernel though...

Beans

5.8.0-45-generic update this morning and got the low resolution problem.

5.8.0-45-generic update this afternoon and all is well again.

Beans

I used Grub Customizer to boot into 5.8.0-44-generic for now as I'm sick with something. It's not a long term solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast