Thread: Can't post new thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Can't post new thread

Trying to post new thread in Multimedia (https://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=334) and getting a Forbidden message:

Code:
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /newthread.php on this server.

Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at ubuntuforums.org Port 443
    URL: https://ubuntuforums.org/newthread.p...stthread&f=334

Obviously can post here, though....
    Ubuntu 22.04 / Opensuse Tumbleweed
    i5 / 16GB
    Onboard graphic/sound

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Can't post new thread

Ever since Canonical IS hardened the server after a serious hack some years ago, the vBulletin software occasionally and unpredictably does kooky things like this, and adds insult to injury by displaying that totally unhelpful forbidden message. Canonical IS did some fine tuning at the time, but I believe this is as good as it is likely to get without compromising security. I'm being deliberately vague about details for obvious reasons. Be assured, I feel for you. Sometimes it tells me that I don’t have permission to move a thread, or some other thing that forum staff are meant to do. Seriously?

Anyway, in your case I suspect that a particular string in perhaps some code or terminal output is being wrongly interpreted as malicious, or perhaps you've exceeded a certain character limit - that sometimes causes the error. If you tried to post the same thing in this sub -forum, I'm sure you'll get the same forbidden message.

What sort of thing are you trying to post? Perhaps the use of Ubuntu pastebin with a link would be a workaround.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am CONSTANTLY getting this message.
    Don't seem to be able to post anything in the forums (except for maybe here....)
    What's the fix?
    i5 / 16GB
    Onboard graphic/sound

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The thread I am trying to post is the attached text.

Why the problem??
    Attached Files Attached Files
    i5 / 16GB
    Onboard graphic/sound

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I've found the problem. As I guessed it was around the http bit of your text. Post this:

HTTP
    And/or post this:

/1.1
    And the server is as happy as Larry. But if I put the two together, I get:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /newreply.php on this server.
    Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at ubuntuforums.org Port 443
    Just like you. I can't remember the details now, but I do remember that Canonical IS had to do a lot of fine tuning of the security hardening to try to minimise spurious errors. Put those two strings together and the server has a fit of the vapours. I'll try raising a ticket to see if this particular string could be tolerated, but please don't hold your breath. In the meantime, I suggest you get creative with your post. I think just the "404 not found" is the important bit, and that at least will not upset the server.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks, Done!!
    i5 / 16GB
    Onboard graphic/sound