Thread: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS repositories have Wine 5.0, but current version is 6.0

Beans

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS repositories have Wine 5.0, but current version is 6.0

I'd like to stick with versions from Ubuntu repositories, because using wierdo third party repositories usually causes package manager problems.
    But Wine 5.0 won't run something, and I'd like to try Wine 6.0. Is it possible to run Wine without installing it as root?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS repositories have Wine 5.0, but current version is 6.0

Quote Originally Posted by John Nagle View Post
    I'd like to stick with versions from Ubuntu repositories, because using wierdo third party repositories usually causes package manager problems.
    It doesn't usually cause problems. It's possible to muck up your package manager, and it's also possible to not, just like everything.

But Wine 5.0 won't run something, and I'd like to try Wine 6.0. Is it possible to run Wine without installing it as root?
    Lutris uses its own versions of Wine independently of the system version. You do need to install a version of Wine system-wide, so that you have all the required dependencies, but the actual version doesn't matter that much.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

first make sure wine version is the issue.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

I'm actually doing WINE stuff right now for the first time (I'm 18.04) and so I went to winehq to install it, and yea they're "wierdo third party repositories" but I mean we're talking about a decades established application set here.

Take a look at the winehq.org, installation page- it was thorough, it even covered some problems I'd had just trying it with apt-get.

Oh also if you have that "winehq-stable : Depends: wine-stable" error, I had that too let me know.

Did you install virtualbox? I had to uninstall virtualbox; a dependency conflict. Although I'm guessing I can just reinstall a newer version, idk.

There's another notification "N:" something that I think had to do with audio, I found how to fix that too, lemme know I'll go find the site again it was only like 2 days ago it's probably in my history.

gl.