Thread: Linux 1; Windows 0.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Linux 1; Windows 0.

Old PS/2 style port connector keyboard (a nice keyboard, in my opinion, an HP KB-0630 w/ multimedia buttons on the sides, $2.99 at Goodwill ), I thought it was junk and just didn't work; I had Windows 7. I was stuck using a Logitech K120, which I like, but it's worn out as it also was a Goodwill purchase, and I abused it for like 5 years.

I've had Linux installed for 2 months now, and just remembered, I had this PS/2 port style keyboard stashed away still! AND IT WORKS! I have a little PS/2 to USB adapter, but didn't even need it, just plugged in the 6-pin connector and it worked.

Edit: It's got a little crescent Moon button on the side, I pressed it, and works, lol. Instant suspend at the press of a button, might be hibernate as keyboard presses didn't wake it up? Not sure, but this thing has so many new buttons, it feels like Christmas, lol.
    Last edited by QIII; March 12th, 2021 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Title made more appropriate.

O)9(yo&# is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Linux 1; Windows 0.

Congrats! What Linux are you running? I'm currently running Bodhi 5 and Bunsen Labs Lithium. A couple of "niche" distros, which my old Gateway desktop (ca. 2009) needs at this point in its life (video card died, PSU died; back on original specs - need very light operating system).

I have tried around 20 distros over the past several years. We also have a laptop running Zorin. All work great.
    Last edited by QIII; March 12th, 2021 at 07:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Currently on Ubuntu 20.04, but I just downloaded VM software and am looking forward to trying out other distros. I can't believe there are some that have such low system requirements, I'm so used to needing 2+GB of RAM just to run the operating system, then if you open a program and/or use Google, you're at 4-6GB of RAM usage before you even know it, lol. My favorite part is the terminal commands though, no more right-click->copy file->navigate the gui to destination folder -> right-click paste file.
    Last edited by Swan_DB; March 13th, 2021 at 03:02 PM.

Beans

I've find older keyboards some of them to be constructed better than most of today's newfangled keyboards made to self destruct after a year or two.

I prefer wired devices over wireless devices as the last thing I want and need is another electronic device to have to replace the batteries in.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Swan_DB View Post
    Old PS/2 style port connector keyboard (a nice keyboard, in my opinion, an HP KB-0630 w/ multimedia buttons on the sides, $2.99 at Goodwill ), I thought it was junk and just didn't work; I had Windows 7. I was stuck using a Logitech K120, which I like, but it's worn out as it also was a Goodwill purchase, and I abused it for like 5 years.

I've had Linux installed for 2 months now, and just remembered, I had this PS/2 port style keyboard stashed away still! AND IT WORKS! I have a little PS/2 to USB adapter, but didn't even need it, just plugged in the 6-pin connector and it worked.

Edit: It's got a little crescent Moon button on the side, I pressed it, and works, lol. Instant suspend at the press of a button, might be hibernate as keyboard presses didn't wake it up? Not sure, but this thing has so many new buttons, it feels like Christmas, lol.

Re waking your machine up. Have you tried pressing the space bar? That's what works on mine - fairly new MSI Ryzen board.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re waking your machine up. Have you tried pressing the space bar?
    Best I could figure out was it's likely a driver issue. I tried pressing every key on the keyboard to wake the machine up. I have an old dusty, dirty, nicotine coated Gigabit Z77 motherboard from like 2011, so it's not surprising the keyboard doesn't work perfectly. Not a big deal, I can just press the power button on my tower and it wakes up.
    Last edited by Swan_DB; March 13th, 2021 at 08:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

No drivers when the computer's asleep. It'll be a BIOS/UEFI setting to control what triggers it to wake up again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I agree with @CatKiller, in that it's not a driver/setting issue on the OS, but related to the firmware itself (and may have a setting you can control, but it also may not).

I do QA-testing on various boxes, and booting a daily ISO on some of them (suspend test) can be woken up via hitting any key, but the same media booted on other boxes requires me to hit the power button on the box to have it wake up from suspend. Some boxes just won't wake with a keyboard press in my experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree with @CatKiller, in that it's not a driver/setting issue on the OS, but related to the firmware itself (and may have a setting you can control, but it also may not).

I do QA-testing on various boxes, and booting a daily ISO on some of them (suspend test) can be woken up via hitting any key, but the same media booted on other boxes requires me to hit the power button on the box to have it wake up from suspend. Some boxes just won't wake with a keyboard press in my experience.
    This is strange, it wakes up via my USB Logitech k120 keyboard by hitting any key, but does NOT wake with the PS/2 HP brand keyboard. I wonder if the bios/motherboard/whatever uefi settings are, are preventing the PS/2 port from letting it receive a signal to wake up.

I've yet to try the PS/2 to USB adapter, I wonder if that would...... I'll be back, hang on...............

EDIT: I DON'T GET IT....
    USB adapter didn't work, BUT, I swear it wouldn't wake up before, using the keyboard, but now it does, even on the PS/2 6 pin port... (the usb adapter is a cheap chinese thing, I think it's broken or the wrong type as it doesn't even recognize the keyboard using that PS/2 to USB adapter). Not sure what happened, is it possible a setting got changed in the bios/uefi settings somehow and now it *does* wake up using the keyboard through the PS/2 port?
    Last edited by Swan_DB; March 14th, 2021 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Edit: stuff

Beans

Before he passed away, my dad used this old mechanical keyboard that he had for years, as it was his favorite, and it had the PS/2 port. Many motherboards are still including them. I smile and think of my dad whenever I see one.