Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sorry for the Noob Question, but I have 20.04 LTS, and it's.... heavy? What to do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Sorry for the Noob Question, but I have 20.04 LTS, and it's.... heavy? What to

add ram or if you already have 8 GB then add and SSD drive, add a well supported GPU card (hard to do on laptop), and you should be good to go. it's not the OS that is heavy it's the apps actually.

i have single core from 2004 on Kubutnu. it is starting to show it's age. mostly when i want something done fast it is slow. i play old games and few newish ones. it kind of works most of the time. sometimes i get lag and CS:Go takes 8 minutes (curse you last update) to load and 2 more to load a map, but eventually it works well. gmail is ridiculously slow for some reason. maybe because i turned off various scripts.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Sorry for the Noob Question, but I have 20.04 LTS, and it's.... heavy? What to

Thanks for all the replies here : )

Debian offers individual iso images each with a different desktop environment. Cinnamon; Gnome; KDE; LXDE; LXqt; Mate; xfce. I think they also offer a mini iso. Also known as netboot install. I have not tested this out. So, I cannot say for sure what we can do with it. You will find that the Debian installer is a lot different from the Ubuntu installer. Can be a bit of a surprise to someone used to installing Ubuntu and its flavours.
    This has me curious, lol. Thank you. I'm looking for a GUI version for a computer illiterate type that will be using a laptop from likely 10+ years ago, then for my desktop, I'm going to start messing around a bit; first is the VM and testing distros; then I'll try the dual/triple boot method too. Right now, I've got the laptop torn apart and trying to get it back together with JB weld because I broke some ribbon clips

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

IME, JB weld won't hold in environments with vibration and heat swings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

add ram or if you already have 8 GB then add and SSD drive, add a well supported GPU card (hard to do on laptop), and you should be good to go. it's not the OS that is heavy it's the apps actually.
    The compaq presario cq50 has 2GB, but 4GB "virtual", whatever that means, I assume it's marketing mostly, and just has ~4GB RAM, or maybe it uses 2 GB from the Hard Drive or something, idk. The laptop will mainly be for a computer illiterate type, that will be learning Excel sheets, PDF's, and she uses Facebook and YahooMail and Gmail. So the Applications, assuming she's not browsing the web on 5 tabs, and doing other stuff, should be light weight enough for the 4GB RAM. If not, well, it's just time to buy another PC because this compaq laptop has busted ribbon clips and a battery that holds no charge, plus other issues.

Thanks for the reply about "it's the apps that use the RAM", makes me less worried about which Linux I install on it, assuming I get it working again (broken ribbon clips + JB weld, and I used Anti-seize lubricant as cpu thermal paste ).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Consider trying a ChromeOS clone. That is best for non-techy people. Very light. https://www.howisolve.com/install-chromium-os-pc/ shows how to install. It is designed for everyone, but kids pick it up fastest. It is basically a way to have a chromebook-like experience, just with random hardware.

I'd bet it has 2G of RAM and 2G of swap. The iGPU probably steals 256MB of RAM too.
    Last edited by TheFu; March 18th, 2021 at 03:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Swan_DB View Post
    The compaq presario cq50 has 2GB, but 4GB "virtual", whatever that means, I assume it's marketing mostly, and just has ~4GB RAM, or maybe it uses 2 GB from the Hard Drive or something, idk. The laptop will mainly be for a computer illiterate type, that will be learning Excel sheets, PDF's, and she uses Facebook and YahooMail and Gmail. So the Applications, assuming she's not browsing the web on 5 tabs, and doing other stuff, should be light weight enough for the 4GB RAM. If not, well, it's just time to buy another PC because this compaq laptop has busted ribbon clips and a battery that holds no charge, plus other issues.

Thanks for the reply about "it's the apps that use the RAM", makes me less worried about which Linux I install on it, assuming I get it working again (broken ribbon clips + JB weld, and I used Anti-seize lubricant as cpu thermal paste ).
    Gmail through browser and facebook? it likely won't be a good experience on that laptop.

they were selling HP with Ryzen 3 (3000 series) with no OS loaded here for 330 EUR last year. they are nothing special in terms of screen and disk size. but came with 8 GB ram (2 Gb is taken by GPU) and fast nVme drives. We got a version with Ryzen 5 in it for 411 EUR. i put Kubuntu 20.04 on it. it flies. boots in few seconds, loads webpages fast, he can play his favourite games, he is alt+tabing out of games to play you tube videos in background etc.

anyway if you can still get a deal on older model of Ryzen 3 or Core i3 this kind of laptops would give good experience to someone new to computers. even one of used laptops with these ocmponents would give a better experience (especially if you can add a bit of ram and add SSD drive)

like i said old desktops (maybe as they can be upgraded in correct areas up to a point), but old laptops will need patience. they work, but the experience they give is more suitable for those that know what to expect. i have laptop with limited resources (2 GB, low powered CPU, normal slow HDD) and while it works for me ( i am used to it being a bit slow) it is not really presentable. gmail and similar (facebook and other script heavy stuff like media pages) are really slow and better accessed via other means (e.g. email client, text browser...). libre office takes time to load. even with latest version.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

but old laptops will need patience. they work, but the experience they give is more suitable for those that know what to expect.
    I have been made aware of what a 1 core cpu is like, lol. Trying to figure out boot loading from a old Batman USB drive I found behind the refrigerator when we moved into the trailer 8 years ago, the read/write speeds from that old USB stick are like a 3 legged turtle, plus the 1 core CPU,and the 2GB ddr2 RAM, the process of swapping the operating system is just beating me; so much waiting. Plus the touchpad thing on the laptop doesn't function, so I have to keep swapping my mouse to do google searches, desktop back to laptop, back to desktop, and back; a second mouse would help, maybe I'll go to a Goodwill soon.

I'm stubborn, and will figure out boot loaders and the ISO file, but it may take a year or two, lol. I'm looking for, like you said, a newer laptop with an i3 cpu or better, plus 8GB RAM, they are not that expensive, especially used ones.

Thanks for the comment : )
    Last edited by Swan_DB; March 19th, 2021 at 06:06 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12