Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No network/wifi for new lubuntu install

Hybrid View

Beans

No network/wifi for new lubuntu install

Installed lubuntu 20.04 on new asus l210. Installer announced no networking available so installed just from the usb.

Installed cleanly, but no internet. Icon in systray identifies as nm-tray, clicking it, left or right gets 3 item menu: Active Connections, Wifi Networks, Known Connections, all of which are dead

Network directory on Desktop shows an icon called Windows Network, clicking it gives error message, "Failed to retrieve share list from server: No such file or dirctory', followed by second error message 'The specified location is not mounted'

sudo ip a gives
    Code:
    [sudo] password for q: 
    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
        inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
        inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

As wlan0 does not show does this mean lubuntu does not recognize the l210 network card?

sudo lshw -C network gives
    Code:
      *-network UNCLAIMED
           description: Network controller
           product: RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
           vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           version: 00
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: ioport:e000(size=256) memory:a1100000-a110ffff

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: No network/wifi for new lubuntu install

I'd ask if you've verified that the BIOS didn't disable the NIC first. Go into the bios and check that. In fact, with Asus, you should be able to perform a BIOS upgrade over the internet from inside the BIOS, so I'd suggest trying that. If it doesn't work then you know that the motherboard may have a bad NIC and you should get it replaced ASAP.

l210? Are you sure it isn't an i210 or i211 both from Intel?
    I know the I211 Gigabit Network is well supported and fast. I have one. It uses the igb driver.
    I know the I210 is supported and fast. I have 4. Neither of those NICs require any special effort to work. The i210 is currently used on my router and not running Linux so I cannot tell you the driver it uses. Sorry.

I avoid wifi and realtek, so cannot help with that. Sorry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...0.04.3_all.deb

Install the driver by double-clicking

Beans

Thanks for your help, I have the download and will transfer it to the asus l210.

Oh boy, I think this will be a lengthy process, the download was missing one dependency, but that one was missing 3 more, and 2 of those missing 3 more. Someday I am sure I'll reach the end of those dependencies, but right now I'm saying to myself, "who really needs the internet anyway?"
    Last edited by porphyry52; March 12th, 2021 at 11:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

What about adding the installation medium to the sources?! dkms and build-essential should be there

Beans

Doesn't seem to be.
    Code:
    /media/q/Lubuntu 20.04.2 LTS amd64 $ sudo find . -maxdepth 10 -iname '*dkms*'                                                                 
    /media/q/Lubuntu 20.04.2 LTS amd64 $ sudo find . -maxdepth 20 -iname '*dkms*'                                                                 
    /media/q/Lubuntu 20.04.2 LTS amd64 $
    Nothing for gcc either.
    Last edited by porphyry52; March 13th, 2021 at 09:35 PM. Reason: add gcc line

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm mystified. My machine reports:
    Code:
    chili@T440p:/media/chili/Ubuntu 20.04.2.0 LTS amd64$ sudo find . -maxdepth 10 -iname '*dkms*'   
    [sudo] password for chili: 
    ./pool/main/d/dkms
    ./pool/main/d/dkms/dkms_2.8.1-5ubuntu1_all.deb
    The deb file should be installable.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by porphyry52 View Post
    Thanks for your help, I have the download and will transfer it to the asus l210.

Oh boy, I think this will be a lengthy process, the download was missing one dependency, but that one was missing 3 more, and 2 of those missing 3 more. Someday I am sure I'll reach the end of those dependencies, but right now I'm saying to myself, "who really needs the internet anyway?"
    Does the system have wired ethernet at all?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Yeah sorry @porphyry52 I just mounted my latest focal media and it's not there.

We (Lubuntu) don't include all nvidia & like closed-source drivers found on Ubuntu and many other flavors, which is why our ISO still fits on a 2GB thumb-drive.

Beans

Turns out its only on the largest ubuntu iso , so I got that and installed ubuntu side by side with Lubuntu. But no help, its Software Installer gives the cryptic message "Kernel source or headers are required to compile these modules", whatever that may mean.
    All the online discussions of installing linux on this model asus referred to using a wifi dongle or even installing a different card in place of the Realtek, none mention a software solution.
    Mine arrive tomorrow. I have high hopes for the dongle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast