Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Unity be offered as a flavor?

Beans

Will Unity be offered as a flavor?

Will Unity desktop be offered as a flavor?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Will Unity be offered as a flavor?

You are aware of https://ubuntuunity.org

Many of the people involved are now Ubuntu Members, and whilst I've not kept myself fully informed, it was expected they'd meet the (sustained) criteria to become an official during this year (2021, if they still wish to do so).

For up-to-date information, I'd suggest checking up https://discourse.ubuntu.com/c/deskt...u-unity-dev/19

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    You are aware of https://ubuntuunity.org

Many of the people involved are now Ubuntu Members, and whilst I've not kept myself fully informed, it was expected they'd meet the (sustained) criteria to become an official during this year (2021, if they still wish to do so).

For up-to-date information, I'd suggest checking up https://discourse.ubuntu.com/c/deskt...u-unity-dev/19
    Thank you for your reply.

I don't think Unity (Unity Remix) is available to simply update to - one must do a clean install.
    I'm running Unity now, but I'd like Remix to be a flavor, so that I could simply update to it - via using the Software Center.

Beans

Do not think you can 'update' to a different flavour, gnome to Kubuntu. Can install a desktop, did clean install of 18.04, stuff was broken in gnome, fixed everything by installing unity desktop and have upgraded to 20.04 since. Do think it would be nice if they did have a Unity flavour also, saves having to install unity.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jmichaels29 View Post

I don't think Unity (Unity Remix) is available to simply update to - one must do a clean install.
    I'm running Unity now, but I'd like Remix to be a flavor, so that I could simply update to it - via using the Software Center.
    Sorry I don't use Software Centre very often so really don't know what it shows (I am aware that it contains a somewhat curated list, so not everything shows). I'd suggest trying a package-manager (I like `aptitude`, but most would probably opt for `synaptic` or `muon`..)

A quick look finds

Code:
    guiverc@d960-ubu2:/de2900/lubuntu_64$   rmadison ubuntu-unity-desktop
     ubuntu-unity-desktop | 0.1 | bionic/universe  | amd64, arm64, armhf, i386, ppc64el
     ubuntu-unity-desktop | 0.2 | focal/universe   | amd64, arm64, armhf, ppc64el
     ubuntu-unity-desktop | 0.3 | groovy/universe  | amd64, arm64, armhf, ppc64el
     ubuntu-unity-desktop | 0.3 | hirsute/universe | amd64, arm64, armhf, ppc64el
    I've not added them, but I can't see why they wouldn't work.

My own install was a Ubuntu install, on which I added `xubuntu-desktop`, `lubuntu-desktop` and `ubuntu-mate-desktop` (long ago in 2017 or what was artful days. I upgrade it every six months so now it's on hirsute though I removed `ubuntu-mate-desktop` a few months ago (disk space issues primarily).

There are cons to have multiple desktops installed, but I personally feel the pros outweigh them (hey I can select Ubuntu(GNOME), Lubuntu(LXQt) or Xubuntu(XFCE) when I login and love it), in fact most my boxes have multiple desktops installed (they do vary..)

I have no experience with `ubuntu-unity-desktop` though sorry; I never got used to the menu.
    FYI: If you wonder why the spaces in front of the `rmadison` command; I don't want quick queries like that (support for others etc) clogging up my command `history`, the spaces in front mean it won't get recorded
    Last edited by guiverc; March 10th, 2021 at 02:45 AM.

Beans

Think unity remix is more of a separate related distro, compared to the action of just installing unity desktop. Remix might require downloading ISO and installing to drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    Think unity remix is more of a separate related distro, compared to the action of just installing unity desktop. Remix might require downloading ISO and installing to drive.
    Yes, my understanding is that is exactly how it works.
    I had read, that the kid that created Remix, was hoping that one day that Ubuntu would offer it as a "flavor." I don't know exactly what a flavor is, but was hoping it would mean I could somehow upgrade to it easily via the software center.
    Last edited by jmichaels29; March 10th, 2021 at 03:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Yep currently Unity remix is a unofficial Ubuntu remix, I was aware of numerous discussions last year, but my memory is vague (I didn't need to know, reading the it was part of my Ubuntu_News role); and I was under the impression it was taking over from what Dale Beaudoin (user @ventrical here) originally led.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jmichaels29 View Post

The remix uses the packages already available in the Ubuntu repositories.
    All the remix does is make it so you can do a clean install.

If you're going to do an upgrade then no need to deal with a remix.

All the remix does is make it convenient to install unity directly during an install,
    rather than having to install it post-installation.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

A flavour is an ISO for install that has a specific desktop and programs, you can't update to a flavour. You can only install desktop and/or programs from a flavour to your system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast