Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Unity be offered as a flavor?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Will Unity be offered as a flavor?

Not a support request.

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As I understand things, Unity 7 is in maintenance mode and it is not in the repositories of the latest Ubuntu versions. If you start with something Like Ubuntu 16.04 where Unity 7 is the default desktop and then upgrade to 18.04 and onwards a person would get the latest Ubuntu with Gnome 3 shell and a login option of Unity. But be careful. The upgrade process will ask for authorisation to remove obsolete packages. Give approval for that action and Unity 7 will be removed. That is how I lost Unity from my present install of 20.04 which originally started out as 16.04.

In my opinion the reason that the Unity 7 packages are considered obsolete is because they are not in the 20.04 repositories and cannot be upgraded .

I expect that there are conditions that the developers of Ubuntu Unity will have to meet for ubuntu Unity to become an official flavour. I guess that the developers would have to prove that they can keep up to date with security fixes and also follow the standard Ubuntu release schedule.

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 10th, 2021 at 11:14 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

As I understand things, Unity 7 is in maintenance mode and it is not in the repositories of the latest Ubuntu versions
    It's not in the 21.04 repository at this point. I just downloaded and ran a U-unity 21.04 a live session.

Not sure where Ubuntu Unity stands in the official flavor process. They have a forum @ the link.
    https://ubuntuunity.org/
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; March 11th, 2021 at 01:55 AM.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Thanks all for the replies.

When I did a clean install of 20.04 lts, I then immediately installed Unity via the terminal/command line. Not that this is a focus of this thread, but I simply like the more robust drag and drop features of Unity (being able to drag and drop to the desktop, being able to create folders on the desktop, drag and drop to a thumb drive icon or trash icon. Gnome just doesn't have the robust drag and drop that I like - & I'm well aware that the makers of Gnome don't like people to have a cluttered desktop, but I think that goes against how modern operating systems should work and against the Linux philosophy of allowing users to choose to clutter up their desktop if they want to (smiles).

Over the years, Ubuntu has had desktop changes during upgrades, without having to do a clean install. I'd just like that option with Unity - e.g. being able to simply update to Unity Remix while at the same time keeping your files/folders intact.

Regards
    Last edited by jmichaels29; March 11th, 2021 at 04:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    As I understand things, Unity 7 is in maintenance mode and it is not in the repositories of the latest Ubuntu versions. If you start with something Like Ubuntu 16.04 where Unity 7 is the default desktop and then upgrade to 18.04 and onwards a person would get the latest Ubuntu with Gnome 3 shell and a login option of Unity. But be careful. The upgrade process will ask for authorisation to remove obsolete packages. Give approval for that action and Unity 7 will be removed. That is how I lost Unity from my present install of 20.04 which originally started out as 16.04.

In my opinion the reason that the Unity 7 packages are considered obsolete is because they are not in the 20.04 repositories and cannot be upgraded .

I expect that there are conditions that the developers of Ubuntu Unity will have to meet for ubuntu Unity to become an official flavour. I guess that the developers would have to prove that they can keep up to date with security fixes and also follow the standard Ubuntu release schedule.

Regards
    Unity is definitely available in every release, including the development release.
    You lost it because some packages related to unity were marked as no longer needed during an upgrade.
    (This happened to me too).
    You can get unity by installing the ubuntu-unity-desktop meta-package.
    If you had that package installed, unity would have stayed.

They did, however, remove all the unity8 packages from the repositories.
    But those are now being worked on by outside developers over at ubports.
    They may, at some time in the future, return to the Ubuntu repositories but with a new name.
    If they do, it'll be because the developers were able to the get them into Debian,
    which Ubuntu will pull from when creating a new release.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Just can't believe Unity is on progress right now. Unbelievable.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread
    Rock n' Roll People.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Unity is definitely available in every release, including the development release.
    It did not come up in a synaptic search yesterday , but was found today.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12