Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Encryption recommendation for external drive with data

Beans

Re: Encryption recommendation for external drive with data

@TheFu I have been working with three external drives (testing things out). One HDD has NTFS the others ext4 with an HDD and an SSD. Sorry for any confusion. Yes I am looking for the easy answers and I'll take them whenever possible. I am new to using encryption but unless I ask, how do I know "easy answers" don't exist? I am trying to keep things simple for me and I do understand "bottleneck" analysis and performance is very complicated. I am "assuming" that NTFS is needed for any windows compatibility...(unless windows supports ext4, I haven't checked yet because I try not to use windows except to help friends and family). But my main focus is using ext4 on Ubuntu. I seem to be at a place where "using" VeraCrypt with ext4 meets my needs. I really do very much appreciate the opportunity to pick everyone's brain and get a deeper understanding about how to use encription

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We are 41 posts in a single thread. That says "this is complex" to me.

I wish you luck and success.

Beans

One more question. Can an encrypted container (volume or file) be placed inside another encrypted container (volume)? Recursively? Does this improve security for the "double/triple/etc encrypted" stuff, if it is possible? ...the reason I am asking is that if I am moving stuff around not having to decrypt and re-encrypt would save some steps and time, "I think"
    Last edited by jgwphd; March 15th, 2021 at 11:58 PM.

Beans

Yes, you can "matryoshka doll" your encrypted containers, but that would make very little sense. Understanding the encryption parameters and how they impact the security of the encrypted data will be more secure than the sloth and hassle related to encrypting encrypted containers.
    Have a ubuntastic day!

Beans

THANK-YOU to everyone for your assistance and patience in answering my questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by jgwphd View Post
    I have been just clicking "mount" for years and never noticed any issues.
    if you've only been doing things one way, you have no way to see how that is different than some other way.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Well, if you are happy with that, great! Mounts can often use some performance parameters that aren't set by default. Almost always, using a GUI to access storage means having convenience over performance. This is true for non-native Linux.

There are many threads in these forums about this issue.

But if you've never noticed poor performance, maybe it is best not to look. You are happy now, usually.
    i think the conclusion of what he said is that whether it is the worst or best performance, it is tolerable.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345