Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Encryption recommendation for external drive with data

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Encryption recommendation for external drive with data

Quote Originally Posted by jgwphd View Post
    "The way storage is mounted can drastically impact performance" What does this mean? I have been just clicking "mount" for years and never noticed any issues.
    Well, if you are happy with that, great! Mounts can often use some performance parameters that aren't set by default. Almost always, using a GUI to access storage means having convenience over performance. This is true for non-native Linux.

There are many threads in these forums about this issue.

But if you've never noticed poor performance, maybe it is best not to look. You are happy now, usually.

Beans

"The way storage is mounted can drastically impact performance" What does this mean? I have been just clicking "mount" for years and never noticed any issues.
    For some file systems, file access time is enabled by default which means that each time a file is read from, the driver writes back to disk in order to update the files access time. By (manually) declaring the "noatime" mount option you disable this "feature" which causes less write back and increased read performance - especially for hard disk (by some referred to as "spinning rust"). This is just an example, there are other mount options which will optimize I/O performance as well. My guess is that you may loose up to half the I/O speed of a HDD if it is not mounted optimally.
    Have a ubuntastic day!

Beans

@dinkidonk This is news to me??? I thought Ubuntu "optimally mounts" the file systems automatically. Are you saying that when using encryption, you need to mount the file system with different "manual" options. I am using VeraCrypt and I just click "mount" and VeraCrypt does not offer any mount options that I can see. I am interested in speeding things up, at least the initial volume creation. Once up an running it seems ok. In preferences there are mount option selections. What I have is below. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!
    Screenshot from 2021-03-14 08-56-25.pngScreenshot from 2021-03-14 08-58-09.pngScreenshot from 2021-03-14 08-58-58.png

Beans

Ubuntu uses the default mount options unless you tell Ubuntu to do something different. In the first picture, you have mount options for the file system at the bottom, entering "noatime" into that field should disable access time and increase read performance if the file system supports noatime.

EDIT: You can look at the manpage for the mount command and check the "-o" switch and the options you can use with it.
    Last edited by dinkidonk; March 14th, 2021 at 02:37 PM.
    Have a ubuntastic day!

Beans

@dinkidonk Is the "noatime" an appropriate mount option for SSD's? ...or is this just for HDD's? Hopefully both so I can leave the option set in VeraCrypt preferences rather than remembering it every time I mount a USB device! I truly appreciate the information that helps with encryption performance. Many Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

atime is a minor thing. 50% less performance is an overstatement, imho.
    NTFS without non-default options can be impacted 30%.

Google "gio performance" and
    "gvfs performance"
    if you actually want to learn more.

Beans

I am using "ext4" file system. What about SSDs? is there any possible encryption performance gain here using non-default options?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    atime is a minor thing. 50% less performance is an overstatement, imho. NTFS without non-default options can be impacted 30%.
    I had this post once and in that particular case default mount options had a performance impact of more than 50%. I did also try with noatime but that had much less impact than mounting as read-only.
    I am using "ext4" file system. What about SSDs? is there any possible encryption performance gain here using non-default options?
    There will most likely not be any notable performance gain but you will decrease wear due to unnecessary writes on the drive.
    Have a ubuntastic day!

Beans

Many Thanks to everyone letting me tap into your knowledge and experience. Again THANKS!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You seem to want easy answers where there are none. The entire data chain from source to last write matters - both hardware and software - when it comes to performance. Examine the entire software chain and the entire hardware chain. Test the performance removing 1 item at a time, see which impacts the performance for your workload. How things are mounted matters. Which file system is used matters. Physical interfaces used on the computer AND on the storage matter. We don't have your exact setup so our prior tests and guesses are just that - guesses.

You said there was NTFS on VeriCrypt. That isn't what you care claiming now. I'm confused. Each setup that is different will have ... er ... different results. There could be impacts or not. Generally, SSDs are so fast that only really bad setups will make a noticeable difference. But people connect SSDs through all sorts of funky interfaces all the time expecting the "SSD-ness" to make up for crappy limitations elsewhere. Sometimes it can and sometimes it cannot.

Sorry, but there aren't any easy answers.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast