Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can scnaner work on ubuntu 21.04 ???

Beans

Can scnaner work on ubuntu 21.04 ???

I have hp envy_4500 series printer works fine
    but scanner giving error unable to connect to scanner

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can scnaner work on ubuntu 21.04 ???

21.04 hasn't been released, so the only answer is maybe.
    Does it work on 20.04 or 20.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In case you think about buying another scanner, fyi Brother scanners don't work in the current Ubuntu editions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by iamjiwjr View Post
    Brother scanners don't work in the current Ubuntu editions.
    That's a very broad and sweeping statement. How many Brother scanners and how many different Brother models have you tested yourself? Or are you citing other sources? What exactly do you mean by "current Ubuntu editions". All in-support releases or only some of them?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have just booted up my virtual install of Xubuntu 21.04 on KVM/QEMU and I had no problems at all either printing or scanning using my HP Envy 4527, the same series as you use.
    Both xsane and Document scanner worked without a problem so I am surprised that you have a problem with that printer/scanner.

I do have hplip installed (it's there by default in Xubuntu) but I am not sure if it is actually required to get the printer or scanner working but it's perhaps worth checking if you have it installed.

I can not comment on Brother printers as I have not had one for about 10 years, but even then it worked fine once the drivers were installed direct from Brother's website, and from what other users have said it seems that Brother machines usually are good to go with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I can not comment on Brother printers as I have not had one for about 10 years, but even then it worked fine once the drivers were installed direct from Brother's website, and from what other users have said it seems that Brother machines usually are good to go with Ubuntu.
    When 20.04 was in development, my Brother scanner didn't start working until very shortly before or perhaps just after 20.04 release. Brother's installer had a habit of copying files to */lib64 when they should have been copied to *. */lib. Brother's linux FAQ had information on the subject. I certainly wouldn't plan on Brother scanners working in pre-release versions. There may or may not be useful info here:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faql...&ftype3=100258

One thing about Brother Linux support is they have answers for old distros. For instance none of the pre-install steps have been required for years. I've had excellent success just using their installer script but others may not.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hoboy View Post
    I have hp envy_4500 series printer works fine
    but scanner giving error unable to connect to scanner

Thanks
    What does
    Code:
    scanimage -L
    show? Does it see you scanner?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Brother scanners are a simple two step process for all other new distros I've tried. Manjaro, openSUSE, Fedora, Solus, Debian, Linux Mint (as of their latest release), Deepin, etc - all easy and simple. But Ubuntu based distros (with the exception of Mint) ALL will not install Brother scanners. Ubuntu's denial of this Ubuntu problem goes on and on and on. I'd like to come home to Ubuntu but cannot as long as this mess continues.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by iamjiwjr View Post
    Brother scanners are a simple two step process for all other new distros I've tried. Manjaro, openSUSE, Fedora, Solus, Debian, Linux Mint (as of their latest release), Deepin, etc - all easy and simple. But Ubuntu based distros (with the exception of Mint) ALL will not install Brother scanners. Ubuntu's denial of this Ubuntu problem goes on and on and on. I'd like to come home to Ubuntu but cannot as long as this mess continues.
    I've been able to install and use Brother scanners on every Ubuntu LTS I've tried. I usually just use the installer script. One thing I do which may or may not matter is to assign a static I.P. address to my multifunction machines. I then run the installer, it may or may not pick up the proper I.P. address. If it doesn't I set it manually. I use the utility system-config-printer which seems to be installed by default in gnome distros. I set the device URI to socket://123.456.789:9100 and it works. Part of the installer script is a single line telling the scanner software where to find the scanner and what it's called. The line is documented in Brother's scanner driver install directions as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I've been able to install and use Brother scanners on every Ubuntu LTS I've tried. I usually just use the installer script. One thing I do which may or may not matter is to assign a static I.P. address to my multifunction machines. I then run the installer, it may or may not pick up the proper I.P. address. If it doesn't I set it manually. I use the utility system-config-printer which seems to be installed by default in gnome distros. I set the device URI to socket://123.456.789:9100 and it works. Part of the installer script is a single line telling the scanner software where to find the scanner and what it's called. The line is documented in Brother's scanner driver install directions as well.
    Thanks. I'll try that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast