Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Ubuntu Desktop

Beans

Install Ubuntu Desktop

It is possible to install Ubuntu on Desktop computer's specification:
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3,20 GHZ, 496 Mo of RAM, and disk size 149 Go? I plan to install a version .Ubuntu Dessktop and win7 to make dual-boot. Is this well affect the response of the machine and the performance in compiling and running Fortran & C programs. Is it poosible to install Ubuntu from USB in the machine? Which either Ubuntu version can be installed in that machine and will perfom more than Ubuntu? Suggestions and advices would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Install Ubuntu Desktop

If that Pentium 4 is 32-bit, then it won't be able to install Ubuntu. 32-bit installs are no longer available.

496 MB RAM isn't sufficient for the modern Internet.

Windows 7 has been End-of-Life for quite some time.

Beans

Thank you for your comment,
    I do not yet check if 32- or 64- bit so if is 64-bit which Ubuntu version would be installed in that machine? is the memory will affect the connection to Internet even with an internet cable?
    Which version of Win do you recommend for me? and at the same time works fine with Cygwin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I do not yet check if 32- or 64- bit so if is 64-bit
    Any Pentium 4 is 32-bit.

s the memory will affect the connection to Internet even with an internet cable?
    Yes, it has little to nothing to do with the actual internet connection/service.

Which version of Win do you recommend for me?
    NONE!
    No currently supported Windows version works with so little RAM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Any Pentium 4 is 32-bit.
    Prescott CPUs were Pentium 4 and 64bit

http://www.cpushack.com/2019/10/01/t...-4-64-bit-cpu/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The best use of a computer of that vintage is probably extracting raw materials for recycling, but if you insist, it can be put to some niche work. It won't run regular Ubuntu, but, if 64 bit, it may run a stripped down version. No desktop environment, no web browser, very basic graphics, but it can be used to write and compile C or fortran programs and run them if they are light enough. I wouldn't really expect computers of that vintage to boot on usb. You may need a dvd.

Beans

If you can at least double the ram, then Lubuntu 18.04 should run if you take it easy(might be already out of support). If out of support, will need to try Puppy, Tiny, or Dam small Linux or google small Linux for ones still supported. Am running Lubuntu 18.04 on a P4, but have 1.2GBs of ram.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

On a system like that, you'll want a very light Linux. Something like TinyCore. I wouldn't load any flavor of Ubuntu desktop.
    http://tinycorelinux.net/ to learn more. They have versions with common desktop applications that should run well in 200MB of RAM.

Beans

can I install lUbuntu in that machine?

Beans

Lubuntu will install but 0.5Gb RAM is not ideal. If you can upgrade that it'll really help. I'm surprised that Windows 7 installed on so little. Does the system have a make and model?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast