Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Install Ubuntu Desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Install Ubuntu Desktop

I have used a number of like systems in testing, eg.

- hp dx6120mt (pentium 4, 3gb, winfast clone of nvidia 7600gt)

though it was 1.5GB when testing Lubuntu 18.04, Lubuntu 18.10, Lubuntu 19.04 alpha; with the RAM only increased to 3GB when i386 ISOs were dropped mid-disco (19.04) cycle (so it's 3GB for later 18.04 re-spins)

It was last used to test 18.04.5 flavors in August-2020 (Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu).

The last `ubuntu-desktop` however that I ran on it was Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (so Unity 7), and I don't recall ever trying (or wanting to really try) the GNOME desktop (even with 3GB; it'd be no fun).

Lubuntu live installation media requires you have 768MB to install; as you must be running the system live and have memory available for the installer (`ubiquity` for 18.04). The alternate ISO uses the Debian Installer and can be used on machines with less than 768MB. The alternate ISO was last created April-2018, so it'll have a lot of updates to install (unlike more recent media).

Lubuntu 18.04 LTS (2018-April release) has 3 years of full-support, which alas ends 2021-April or rather soon. Yes your base system will still get upgrades for 5 years (until 2023-April) but many of your packages will not (only main Ubuntu desktop & server get 5 years of support), so consider that if you're online.

Other i386 systems I've tested with are

- hp d220mt (dr159p), (celeron 2ghz, 1gb (732mb useable), 82845G/GL Brookdale-G/GE (i915))
    - dell latitude d610 (pentium m, 1.5gb, intel i915)
    - ibm thinkpad t43 (pentium m, 1.5gb ram, radeon x300)
    - ibm thinkpad t42p (pentium m, 2gb ram, amd/ati mobility firegl t2; rv350/m10 gl)
    - ibm thinkpad r50p (pentium m, 1gb ram, amd/ati mobility firegl t2; rv350/m10 gl)
    - asus eepc 1000HE (intel atom n270, 1gb, intel mobile 945gse integrated), wireless RT2790
    - dell inspiron 6400 (c2d-t2450, 2gb, intel 945gm)

FYI: the only system that really annoyed me was the hp d220mt (celeron) which maybe because it had 732MB of RAM so take note (could also be the cpu).

I also tested Debian 10 (Buster) on those systems, and actually Lubuntu 18.04 LTS was nicer to use on the hp d220/celeron than even Debian Buster (LXDE, LXQt, XFCE..) was (which actually surprised me; though neither would I want to need to use!). I didn't explore if the issue was the celeron or lack of RAM - I just avoided the box (box has 1GB of RAM, but it's shared with video).

Beans

@ActionParsnip
    the Win Xp is installed on that machine. How can I upgrade the RAM? I was planning to install the Xubuntu or Lubuntu to boot with a moderne version of Windiows? What do you recommend?

Beans

@ guiverc
    What do you recommend to me?? I was planning to install a Linux lightweight distro like Lubuntu or Xubuntu that boots with a moderne Windows version to install Cygwin. Please suggest to me how can I do it

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

On less than 1GB of (available) RAM my only real suggestion is get more RAM.

As I already stated; on the 1GB (but only 732MB available to any OS) hp celeron d220mt device, Lubuntu 18.04 tested the best of any I tried (inc. xubuntu, debian buster..) but it was not really a device I'd want to keep using... The pentium 4 (with 1.5gb ram), or pentium M (with 1GB) were much nicer to use. I never explored if it was the RAM or cpu (I didn't really care that much)

GTK3 based releases are slower than GTK2; eg. I used to love MATE on the pentium M laptops (with 1GB) but stopped using MATE as it switched to GTK3 using XFCE mostly instead. XFCE likewise slowed down as it ported to GTK3 (so I switched to LXDE), ie. with desktops, in my opinion at least, the release matters. (you can't just say Xubuntu.. as some releases performed better than others... I kept upgrading a pentium 4 to eoan (19.10) allowing me to experience Xubuntu when it was finally all GTK3... Lubuntu eoan (19.10) using LXQt outperformed Xubuntu eoan.

I would use just a WM or all terminal-based applications; in Ubuntu terms, building from a minimal install. I'd also likely use Debian (you won't get most of the advantages of Ubuntu & flavors).

Repeating you need to increase your RAM !

(I prefer sticking to talking about Ubuntu and flavors of Ubuntu on Ubuntu sites, so I'll mention others, but with fewer details; I do like my Debian though)
    Last edited by guiverc; March 12th, 2021 at 08:38 AM. Reason: s/M/4 (on x86 upgraded to eoan/19.10)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    Repeating you need to increase your RAM !
    this is the only real solution.

but on old machines it might not be feasible. btu you should know that various browsers and similar apps need quite a bit of ram these days.

to boot at lower RAM you need to use something very basic like icevw or openbox. maybe you could give AntiX (uses Rox-IceWM) a try or BunsenLabs Linux (uses Openbox). both are debian based. there is also ubuntu based Bodhi Linux using E17

these are all very light options that will consume really small amounts at boot. they still have access to large array of applications.

there are also more specialized distributions that are aimed at low ram machines, old computers etc. such as Slitaz, Tiny Core, PuppyLinux, DSL and similar, but they may have other limitations. however some of them work on computers will less than 200 MB ram.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12