Thread: Screen sharing not working after moving device

Beans

Screen sharing not working after moving device

Running Ubuntu 20.04. Set up screen sharing and tested it on my Win10 laptop using VNC viewer, and it works. I then move the device to a new location where the machine is plugged into a different switch and the unit is running headless. I can still SSH into the box.

However when I run "sudo netstat -tulpn | egrep 5900" in this new physical location, nothing shows up. Any idea why screen sharing appears turned off when I move the unit and turn it back on?

While the unit is headless, I do have a dummy plug in the display port.
    Last edited by silam2; March 7th, 2021 at 04:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Screen sharing not working after moving device

Well, if you can ssh in, would using the best practice of using an ssh-tunnel for VNC not work? There are lots and lots of how-to guides about doing exactly this.

Or you could use x2go, based on the NX protocol, that includes ssh tunneling in the protocol. Prior to 20.04, ssh-keys were fully supported with x2go. I haven't researched why they aren't anymore, since I only have 1 20.04 system today.

Any chance the IP address wasn't static and got a new IP? That would break lots of stuff.
    Last edited by TheFu; March 7th, 2021 at 07:12 PM.

Beans

is there a local firewall configured?

Beans

Just figured it out actually - needed to set auto-login to get vino started up!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by silam2 View Post
    Just figured it out actually - needed to set auto-login to get vino started up!
    Depending on the environment, auto-login could be a huge security fallure.
    Have you tried starting the vnc-server using systemd? Look at systemd "unit" config files.
    The trick would be to start it running with the specific userid, on a user-specific port, with specific environment variables - like HOME.

or use x2go.

Beans

VNC is a guaranteed method to get your machine hacked. Just search this forum for all the tales of woe. SSH can do the same (but slower) and is secure.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Depending on your usage, if data privacy is not too much an issue, try running some Ubuntu apps in the cloud at https://www.rollapp.com/home.

I am on free Starter account (running one app at a time) using Dropbox, but have experimented with Premier rollApp account (multiple apps) for a month.
    There are some drawbacks I found, such as some apps not yet being available (a long "wishlist") and some being old versions and lack of persistence with free account. Also it lacks a forum like this one.
    But it can be useful for shared tutorials, working from shared Dropbox account to pass files to the apps.