Thread: Ubuntu Linux 20.04 - uninstall Cheese, Rhythmbox, Gnome videos?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Ubuntu Linux 20.04 - uninstall Cheese, Rhythmbox, Gnome videos?

Hi all,

Recently, I installed Ubuntu Linux 20.04.2 LTS (64 bit). When playing multimedia files (like MP3s/MP4s), I prefer to use VLC instead of Rhythmbox and Gnome Videos, guvcview instead of Gnome Cheese and I have installed these applications.

Now, can I remove Rhythmbox, Gnome Videos, Gnome Cheese from my system as I feel these are redundant? Or, these applications have common files/libraries that are also used by VLC & guvcview?

Appreciate any insights/views on this. Thanks for your replies!
    Hardware: Dell Inspiron 3543 Intel(R) Core i5-5200U CPU @ 2.2 GHz x 4; 8GB RAM; 1 TB HDD

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Linux 20.04 - uninstall Cheese, Rhythmbox, Gnome videos?

Removing an application X will not remove any of its dependencies, That includes libraries it shares with other applications.

Removing an application X WILL remove another application Y that depends on X.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Also good to know , if you uninstall via synaptic it will show what other pkgs are also going to be removed. You can experiment with remove and completely remove in synaptic and see the details of each action before hitting apply.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    Also good to know , if you uninstall via synaptic it will show what other pkgs are also going to be removed. You can experiment with remove and completely remove in synaptic and see the details of each action before hitting apply.
    Yes, but there's no need to install an additional complex frontend to the package manager when you can simulate any such operation just by adding a "-s" argument.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Dennis N, cmcanulty, CelticWarrior: Thanks for your replies. I prefer to use the terminal application, use command
    Code:
    apt remove <package  name>
    to remove applications.

I could find packages for cheese & rhythmbox but no packages for videos.
    Code:
    $dpkg -l | grep cheese
    ii  cheese                                     3.34.0-1ubuntu1                     amd64        tool to take pictures and videos from your webcam
    ii  cheese-common                              3.34.0-1ubuntu1                     all          Common files for the Cheese tool to take pictures and videos
    ii  libcheese-gtk25:amd64                      3.34.0-1ubuntu1                     amd64        tool to take pictures and videos from your webcam - widgets
    ii  libcheese8:amd64                           3.34.0-1ubuntu1                     amd64        tool to take pictures and videos from your webcam - base library
    Code:
    $dpkg -l | grep rhythmbox
    ii  gir1.2-rb-3.0:amd64                        3.4.4-1ubuntu2                      amd64        GObject introspection data for the rhythmbox music player
    ii  librhythmbox-core10:amd64                  3.4.4-1ubuntu2                      amd64        support library for the rhythmbox music player
    ii  rhythmbox                                  3.4.4-1ubuntu2                      amd64        music player and organizer for GNOME
    ii  rhythmbox-data                             3.4.4-1ubuntu2                      all          data files for rhythmbox
    ii  rhythmbox-plugin-alternative-toolbar       0.19.3-1.1                          all          Enhanced play controls and interface for Rhythmbox
    ii  rhythmbox-plugins                          3.4.4-1ubuntu2                      amd64        plugins for rhythmbox music player
    Any idea the package name for Videos?
    Hardware: Dell Inspiron 3543 Intel(R) Core i5-5200U CPU @ 2.2 GHz x 4; 8GB RAM; 1 TB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Any idea the package name for Videos?
    Totem
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Smile Re: Ubuntu Linux 20.04 - uninstall Cheese, Rhythmbox, Gnome videos?

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Totem
    deadflowr: Thanks for the reply and passing through!

Note: Today must be a Blue Moon