Thread: 20.04 LTS - .To Partition or not Partition?

Beans

20.04 LTS - .To Partition or not Partition?

Having used ubuntu since 2007, I have always installed with separate partitions for home and root. However, I have always done fresh installs.
    I now have a computer with 20.04 pre-installed without partitioning. If I wanted to perform a new upgrade install of 22.04 presumably next year,
    would re-installing the current OS with separate partitions for /home and / be helpful?

If so, should I add a swap partition? I read that the latest ubuntus install by default with a partition file, but I see that it is a matter of discussion.
    After all, Linus T seems to favor continuing with swap partition ...

I should note that I am a happily retired programmer and although I'm still doing a little coding, the target machine is meant to be a workstation
    for only a slightly higher level than casual use.

As an addendum, I am unable to edit my signature. I getting a permission denied message when I attempt to post changes.
    Last edited by Tim_Johnson; March 7th, 2021 at 01:53 AM.
    ----
    Programmer since 1987. Linux since 2000
    Lives in Palmer, Alaska

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 20.04 LTS - .To Partition or not Partition?

If we have just one Linux partition it means that the home directory is in the same partition as the root directory. That is not a good situation to be in when re-installing as the re-install will format the partition taking out any data in the folders in /home .

So, it is much better to have 2 partitions. One partition for root ( / ) and another partition for home (/home). Then when we re-install we can instruct the installer not to format the /home partition.

In my opinion, the best solution is to have a root partition and a home partition and also a third partition in which we copy all our data to. Then when we re-install we can clear out by formatting both the root partition and the home partition without touching the data partition.

If you intend to do a fresh install then I do not see the purpose of doing a fresh install of 20.04. Just do a fresh install of 22.04.

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 7th, 2021 at 03:14 AM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You can create a /home partition on your current system. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pa...ng/Home/Moving

Make sure you've got backups. If you want to shrink your current root partition, use a live disk.

Beans

Thanks for the replies. That is how is was in the past and I can now see that the same strategies are still recommended.

How about a swap partition? Should I create one too, given the current implementation of a swap file?

Cheers
    ----
    Programmer since 1987. Linux since 2000
    Lives in Palmer, Alaska

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I've a slightly version of grahammechanical way: I've 2 partitions for / and I keep the /home in / (no dedicated partition). However, my data are in another dedicated partition (in fact I've more than 3 partitions).
    The advantage is that the /home configuration also is brand new at each upgrade. I install alternatively on one and then on the other / partition.

AS for the swap, I've always used a swap partition. The rationale being that nowadays machines are quite powerful so and I'm not sensitive to swap performance. And using the SSD drive (with limited R/W cycles) may be a waste of lifetime for swapping.

And +1 for creating the partitions right now. Especially if you move your data only (without the whole /home).
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans

On the swap partition: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2458900

I usually have separate primary partitions for /boot and /, with /home and the swap partition in the extended area.

Having a separate /boot partition is good if you have multiple operating systems on the drive. Otherwise it's probably not needed. If you do allocate a partition to /boot, make sure it is at least 512 MB in size.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I like to do new install to another / (root) partition and use 30GB. But do not use snaps which seem to be larger.
    I do keep /home inside my /, but have all data in separate data partition(s) including some large hidden folders like Thunderbird & Firefox profiles. Then I just link data into my install. and all installs then have same data.
    I then can boot old install or new install when upgrading in case of issues.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2315714
    Splitting home directory discussion and details:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1811198 &
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1901437
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.