Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Browser extensions can be harmful ... Be careful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Browser extensions can be harmful ... Be careful

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    That's interesting. Chrome's store doesn't have that distinction. It would be nice if it did!
    I swore off Chrome a long time ago after just permitting myself to dabble with it. We are not supposed do slag any company on these forums, so let me put it this way: a "privacy" browser foisted on us by a trillion dollar company that makes its billions through user profiling and highly refined targeting is—how to put this delicately—a contradiction in terms? An oxymoron? Pushing on a rope? Simultaneously blowing and sucking?

Brave is awesome. FF is awesome. TOR-Browser is awesome. Chrome is…

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Swan_DB View Post
    [Noob Question] - What prevents my browser/browser extension from writing to my hard-drive, or gaining access to my wifi network? Specifically, hypothetically, ELI5, how would a malicious browser extension on my desktop that I am at right now, access my.... idk, my "smart doorbell security camera"?

My brain is saying they'd need the get into my OS from my browser, which seems like if I simply clicked a button on a website (or installed a malicious browser extension), it could happen via: That "button"/extension downloads a program that executes writing code that breaks my wifi network passwords or by-passes the passwords if that's possible?, then finds my "smart doorbell security camera" and starts sending that video data back through the wifi network, then back through my OS/desktop, then back to... the web and the malicious browser extension's author can download my "smart doorbell security camera" video data.

Any input/details on this would be great, thanks in advance.
    The single weakest point in a typical consumer install is their browser. In fact, it dwarfs all other risks combined. If I had to guesstimate a proportion, I would say that it alone makes up more than 75% of your total attack surface.

It holds this distinction mainly because, for most people, it is their primary interface with the big bad Internet (this is also why the mail client comes in second).

Consider: it has built‑scripting. Scripting is a programming language. People split hairs about whether Javascript counts as a "programming" language, but I mean, c'mon—really? This is a debate?

So, you've got this programming language, built into a ridiculously massive app (FF weighs in at ≈20M lines of code), wide open to any of a million scumbags, that most users permit to access their cameras and microphones, play sound, display graphics, write to their filesystem, browse their network, run obscure and arcane mini‑apps, do triple backward somersaults with three and a half twists, and must be installed into their system with sudo. … … …

What could go wrong?

You've got the question backwards. Your IP packets arrive in your browser by traversing through your firewall, navigating your LAN, arriving at your computer and finally being unpacked in your browser. They have already traversed the whole length and breadth of your network and your browser has to have access to that network to send and receive those packets. The question is not "how it can see my smart doorbell", but "what tiny, thin, delicate measures are in place to stop it from seeing my smart doorbell?" The default condition in a network is: everything is wide open. We fallible humans then erect flimsy walls that we hope will carve out no‑go zones within that anything‑goes default.

There are plenty of us who refuse to run any browsers outside of a full on jail. AppArmor is a good start and most Linux browsers already come with AppArmor profiles, but these tend to be too loose. And AppArmor is notoriously hard to work with. Even better is some form of sandbox. Some of us use specialty sandboxes like firejail. I contain mine within LXD instances. Perhaps the most hardened is a VM.

Even then, my FF is fenced in with NoScript, Ghostery, DoH and a cookie monster. I also run a number of browsers including one so primitive that it has no scripting, CSS or doohickeys with which to exploit. I use that one to visit sites that I'm not sure of. And I'm not sure of most sites.

All of these measures have drawbacks. They take away that convenience that everyone is so addicted to. And if you poke holes in your sandbox in order to bring back some of that convenience, then you've basically nullified the whole point of sandboxing in the first place.

There are no easy or simple answers when it comes to browsing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I decided to install Brave and give it a try. For some reason it seems to be the most reasonable choice for my Linux mindset. I tried it once before but didn't take time to learn how to use it. It has rapidly become my go to Browser. I think it is the right solution for the OP expressed in this thread considering that I have deleted all of my extensions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by zebra2 View Post
    I decided to install Brave and give it a try. For some reason it seems to be the most reasonable choice for my Linux mindset. I tried it once before but didn't take time to learn how to use it. It has rapidly become my go to Browser. I think it is the right solution for the OP expressed in this thread considering that I have deleted all of my extensions.
    Like people's infatuations with DEs, I don't get why people get infatuated with browsers either. I know I'm in a small minority, but I find that, from a usability perspective, most any browser is tolerable, even, in its day, MS IE(!)

What differentiates them is their security/privacy/anonymity. There's a huge world of difference between them when one takes the time to peek under the hood. I suppose that wrappings have never been of much interest to me; the guts on the other hand…

Beans
    Distro

Yep, Like I said "more reasonable choice for my Linux Mindset". It really doesn't have much to do with the real nice desktop that Brave has. It is the fact that it has limited exposure without the extensions because the limits are programmed into the Browser, while at the same time it has a Brave designed DRM that gives digital media support. While in the other browsers I have tried the extensions that are supposed to protect the user also block the digital media (and more). There are other reasons I discontinued the other Browsers that are based on the OP of this thread that I won't get into here because I don't know enough about the nature of the security risks in question.
    Most linux users are willing to do without visual trappings in exchange for security and that is where my where my infatuation lies with Brave browser. It actually works.
    So far as Browser Desktop goes, Microsoft Edge probably wins that contest but I don't trust its security even a bit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

…Most linux users are willing to do without visual trappings in exchange for security and that is where my where my infatuation lies with Brave browser. It actually works.
    So far as Browser Desktop goes, Microsoft Edge probably wins that contest but I don't trust its security even a bit.
    I wasn't charging you with infatuation; quite the contrary. I was trying to agree with you. The fact that you were willing to make the change said to me that you were not infatuated with any browser.

I was addressing the larger community, many of whom are so focused on one browser that they are unwilling to try others. My experience with Brave is exactly like yours: it is marvellously secure right out of the box and the fact that it scrambles browser fingerprinting is a HUGE advantage.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    the fact that it scrambles browser fingerprinting is a HUGE advantage.
    Thanks for the clarification on the infatuation point. I'm like anyone else on this space ship. I can get lazy and this thread addresses an important issue. I don't know if you are familiar with this website "https:// cover your tracks .org" but it gives some pretty good info on fingerprinting and other metrics. I'm getting some good marks off of the Brave browser.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

…this website "https:// cover your tracks .org"…
    Yes, it's a great site and a useful tool. It's very instructive to put a series of different browsers through that test. Try, as part of this discussion, Chrome. A very eye‑opening though sobering experience. I find that almost everything EFF gets involved in is worthy of serious consideration.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Yes, it's a great site and a useful tool. It's very instructive to put a series of different browsers through that test. Try, as part of this discussion, Chrome. A very eye‑opening though sobering experience. I find that almost everything EFF gets involved in is worthy of serious consideration.
    Thanks, this thread is getting to be an eye opening experience.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am no longer using Brave. I used it for like 2 months. The only reason I used Brave is to browse Youtube while logged in so that I get notifications for new videos that I have subscribed for. The problem was if I then searched anything on Google it was a serious privacy issue coz as I mentioned I was logged in with my Google account.

Now things have changed. I am no longer using Google for searching. I am using startpage & even if I decide to use Google for a specific search I use the "private window" feature of Firefox which is my main browser.

I am extremely conservative about which extensions I install.

ff.png
    (Click to enlarge)
    Last edited by linuxyogi; March 22nd, 2021 at 04:52 PM.
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast