Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard disk disappeared from ubuntu still visible in Win 7 dual boot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Hard disk disappeared from ubuntu still visible in Win 7 dual boot

With a totally new drive, I really suggest using gpt.
    But with gpt, you must have either a 1MB unformatted partition with bios_grub flag (if using gparted) or an ESP - efi system partition as FAT32 about 300 to 500MB. When first planning conversion to new UEFI system, I had both bios_grub & ESP on new drives.

For the Total space you want for Ubuntu:
    Ubuntu's standard install is just / (root) & swap(prior to 17.10), but it is better to add another partition for /home if allocating over 30GB.:
    Only if gpt - all partitions in gpt are primary (no logicals):
    gpt: 300-500 MB efi FAT32 w/boot flag (ESP for UEFI boot or future use for UEFI, you only can have one per drive, so if already existing do not attempt another)
    gpt: 1 or 2 MB No Format w/bios_grub flag (for BIOS boot not required for UEFI)
    for gpt(GUID) or MBR(msdos) partitioning
    Ubuntu partitions - smaller root only where hard drive space is limited.
    If total space less than about 30 to 50GB just use / not separate /home or standard install.
    1. 30+ GB Mountpoint / primary or logical beginning ext4
    2. all but 2 GB or all (See below if 18.04 or later) Mountpoint /home logical beginning ext4
    3. 2 GB Mountpoint swap logical (not required with 17.04 and later uses a swap file, if no swap partition found)
    4. You do not need to create swap, as it either finds existing swap partition, or creates in fstab the following swapfile entry:
    5. No swap partition for 18.04 or later, it uses a swap file like this entry in fstab:
    /swapfile none swap sw 0 0

Discussion of swapfile vs swap partition, many suggest swap partition.
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2458900

sudo parted /dev/sda mklabel gpt
    Above label is partition type, not partition label.

I normally use gparted to create gpt & partitions.
    You can also use gparted but must change default partitioning first.
    Select gpt under device, advanced over msdos(MBR) default partitioning before starting.
    Or use gdisk which is in repository, now standard in newer installs:
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I've run through your previous answers again and done some reading and hope I’m prepared. I’m planning to:

1) back up recent files , thunderbird, firefox & Windows 7 ,
    2) delete partitions and change MBR to GPT disk in Windows disk management, (format sdb1 as ntfs 100MB, format sdb2 as ntfs 239900MB, label windows 7) and reinstall Win7 on sdb.
    3) physically replace sda (ubuntu boot disk) with new ssd in slot 0, leave sdb (Windows boot disk) in slot 1, move 1 TB hard disk (data) to slot 2, add new 2 TB hard disk (backup) to slot 3
    4) reinstall Win7
    5) download updates in ubuntu startup screen, unmount and delete partitions for all drives using Something Else,
    6) click New partition table, specify UEFI with Gpt partition table from dropdown menu
    7) for each drive move to space and press +, add Primary partition (at the beginning of space), format partitions (tick Format boxes) with structure as follows:

sda (label: ubuntu 18.04 - not keen on 20.04 yet because no drag and drop on desktop plus files disappear from desktop itself even though they stay in the Desktop file)
    dev/sda1: format as FAT32 /boot 512MB (prompted to install grub bootloader)
    dev/sda2: format as swap /swap 16000MB (for 8 GB RAM (primary partition)
    dev/sda3: format as ext4 / 79000MB primary (root) partition gpt
    dev/sda4: format as ext4 /home 145500MB primary (i.e. rest of disk)

sdb set up using Windows software above

sdc (label: adata)
    dev/sdc1 format as ntfs 1Tbyte (single partition only)

sdd (label: backup)
    sdd1 format as ntfs 2 Tbyte (single partition only)

look ok?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How you boot install media, UEFI or BIOS is then how it installs.
    The Windows 7 installer may be UEFI or not. Early versions were not, had to be copied to flash drive & some files moved & renamed to have the UEFI Windows boot files. Newer release of Windows 7 included those updates, but you still had to boot installer in UEFI mode.
    Windows in UEFI mode want multiple additional partitions. Best to let it create its partitions and then only manually use gparted to create Linux partitions.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...Configurations

Still best not to use Windows 7 as it is EoL - End of Life.

Note that drive like sda will change depending on which SATA port you plug a drive into. Usually SATA0 is sda or in grub hd0 as no drive has been mounted before boot. And when rebooting I have had my USB flash drive become sda and then every other drive moves up a letter. Do not depend on device like /dev/sda. And if using device always check first that you are using correct one.

UEFI often forgets UEFI boot entry when a drive is unplugged. Many auto find Windows in an ESP with /EFI/Microsoft but few find any other system.
    You can easily use efibootmgr to add/replace an UEFI entry or reinstall boot loader. UEFI also boots /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi which is a fallback or drive boot entry. That is same path as external devices. With a Windows install bootx64.efi is a copy of Windows .efi boot file. With Ubuntu, now bootx64.efi is a copy of shimx64.efi or grubx64.efi to boot Ubuntu. Old versions did not create that folder & file. If installing Windows & Ubuntu in one drive bootx64.efi gets overwritten. May be either Windows or shimx64.efi. Boot-Repair backs it up and copies shimx64.efi to it, from when grub did not create bootx64.efi.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

How you boot install media, UEFI or BIOS is then how it installs.
    The Windows 7 installer may be UEFI or not. Early versions were not, had to be copied to flash drive & some files moved & renamed to have the UEFI Windows boot files. Newer release of Windows 7 included those updates, but you still had to boot installer in UEFI mode.
    I’ve backed up Win7 to flash drive with UEFI using AOMEI Partition Assistant, am hoping that will be ok.

Windows in UEFI mode want multiple additional partitions. Best to let it create its partitions and then only manually use gparted to create Linux partitions.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...Configurations
    Am planning to let Windows in UEFI mode to install itself (original Win7 disk/AOMEI flash drive backup - have multiple drives so using Something Else method for creating Linux partitions as you suggested?

Still best not to use Windows 7 as it is EoL - End of Life.
    Yes true Win7 is out of date. I saw what Microsoft did to Win8 and hated it with a passion (loads of ‘apps’ that seem to want you to buy things for no apparent reason, nasty nasty). Win10 seemed similar and had so many problems when it was introduced that I didn’t bother. Since then I’ve used Win7 happily, I’ve just disabled access to the web since all I use it for is Word when I get a work document with a lot of complicated Track Changes, which isn’t often. I just copy a document across from ubuntu, work on it, and copy it back to ubuntu with no web access.

Hoping not having to pay to upgrade to Win10 with attendant hassles. I’m not actually convinced it is problem free yet: https://www.product-reviews.net/down...date-problems/ So if I can I’d like to keep Win7, just not connect it to the web. I’ve got my original Win7 disk but not sure what year it was though (possibly 2012).

Note that drive like sda will change depending on which SATA port you plug a drive into. Usually SATA0 is sda or in grub hd0 as no drive has been mounted before boot. And when rebooting I have had my USB flash drive become sda and then every other drive moves up a letter. Do not depend on device like /dev/sda. And if using device always check first that you are using correct one.
    I was hoping that giving labels to the drive would solve this? I could give the drive identifiers if labels won't work ok.

UEFI often forgets UEFI boot entry when a drive is unplugged. Many auto find Windows in an ESP with /EFI/Microsoft but few find any other system. You can easily use efibootmgr to add/replace an UEFI entry or reinstall boot loader. UEFI also boots /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi which is a fallback or drive boot entry. That is same path as external devices. With a Windows install bootx64.efi is a copy of Windows .efi boot file. With Ubuntu, now bootx64.efi is a copy of shimx64.efi or grubx64.efi to boot Ubuntu. Old versions did not create that folder & file. If installing Windows & Ubuntu in one drive bootx64.efi gets overwritten. May be either Windows or shimx64.efi. Boot-Repair backs it up and copies shimx64.efi to it, from when grub did not create bootx64.efi.
    Won’t be unplugging any of the main four drives sata0 to sata3. Not installing on a single drive – one for ubuntu and one for Windows. Don’t really understand the rest, sorry, am hoping I can come back to it if I have problems

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I like to have the 4 main apps I use as icons in top menu bar.
    I used fallback/flashback when Ubuntu switched from old gnome2. Flashback was similar to old gnome3.
    It was then suggested to try Kubuntu. I found it very similar, so things in different places. But I have icons in top bar as I like.
    It seems more configurable, but sometimes finding those settings is a learning experience as bit different.
    Easier than Windows.

My last real Windows was XP. I barely used Windows 7.
    I do have one system with Windows 10, originally 8. It just for watching video that does not work with Ubuntu.
    I find I have to look up to make even minor changes. Often Internet has some slightly different version and menu drill down is different. But once I get to lowest level where I make change, I think it is still same screens as XP was.

Beans

Interesting, ta. (I also looked up efibootmgr which could be very useful).

I did use XP but don't remember it. The thing I like about Win7 is that it was rock solid - pretty much like my experience of ubuntu.

I'll have a go at reinstalling things tonight. If I can't reinstall Win7 it won't be too dramatic. I've heard you can run it in a virtual machine on ubuntu, but I've resisted because I did try running Wine and it repeatedly fell over. I could give that a go though - I still have my original Microsoft Office disks in case I need them.

Whatever happens thanks for all your time, I've learned loads from this (largely not to install software onto my hard disk by mistake, admittedly).

Beans

Grrr double post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you are still wedded to old Windows 7 can you not try installing a VM for Win 7 inside VirtualBox inside host Ubuntu?
    VirtualBox is not Wine. Problem is you need healthy RAM size.

Beans

Thanks, yes, I'll try to install Win7 but if it doesn't work I'll certainly give VirtualBox a go.

Beans

Bit of a delay again, I was waiting for delivery of an external backup disk and then it took me a while fiddling. It’s all working again (touch wood) after a large number of reboots and Repair Disk reboots and messing with Something Else and gparted and BIOS boot screens.

Wouldn’t let me use FAT32 for boot partition, told me I needed (as I recall) ext2 so I did that. I’m now using UEFI/gpt but decided against dual Windows boot, I’ll try Virtual Box on my spare SSD.

So thanks again – not sure I can mark thread as ‘Solved’ since I wouldn’t suggest people go through all this including my mistakes to reinstate a hard drive. Perhaps for reinstalling complete ubuntu system using gpt rather than MBR, though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast