Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: rsync over ssh errors

Beans

Re: rsync over ssh errors

OK, I found the issues. The previous error messages had to do with my using leading // for the IP address, my failure to use the : between the IP and the share name, my failure to use the full path, and a bunch of options that apparently don't fit the need. Some of these errors probably happened at the same time and changing just one of them didn't fix the problem, and of course gave me different obtuse error messages.

The fstab statement now looks like this:

Code:
    192.168.11.115:/home/public/users/5TBMydrive01-BU  /mnt/Backup-Temp-01 nfs auto,_netdev,proto=tcp,async 0 0
    for all four partitions. On first reboot only three of the four mounted. I used sudo mount -a and the remaining partition mounted. I then rebooted again, and all four mounted.

Thank your for your support, and patience.

Raccoon Strait

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The initial issue was just how the storage was not mounted to the r-pi. For some reason, I got the impression that the r-pi was mounting storage from a NAS device, not a directly connected USB HDD.

Rsync can be used directly from the client to the Pi directly. No need for CIFS or NFS at all.
    And with an ssh config file setup so you never need to know the r-pi IP address again. With ssh-keys, on the r-pi, the client don't need to wait for a password to be entered, should you want to automate this.

rsync behaves differently when it knows the systems are separate as compared to when the storage is all local. NFS appears to rsync like a local mount. This can make for inefficiencies when local storage is involved. If the files are tiny, it probably doesn't matter. With larger files, the entire file will be copied again rather than just the parts that were changed. That's the real power with rsync.

Beans

Now you tell me. Rsync does remote??? It even works, automated.

Well aside from the frustration, the hair loss, time spent, and overindulgence on coffee and hard liquor (just kidding), I did learn some things.

Thanks, one more time.

Raccoon Strait

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123