Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying Computer parts

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Buying Computer parts

I bought a Radeon GPU from Amazon that was made in China. Upon installing it in the computer, a loud squealing sound emanated from my speakers and continued even after replacing the new defective card with the original GPU. The motherboard was damaged. After several calls to Amazon, all I got back was the price that I paid for the GPU card. I ate the MB.

Pay your money and take your chances.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

at least if you buy it at local shop you can stalk them until refund is done
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Opinions wanted.

Amazon has a Ryzen CPU with APU for $300. With this I would not have to purchase a graphics card. Being that it is gray market, if it is defective, I would have to take the loss.

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-Pro.../dp/B08MWMGRH7

Another alternative would to buy a CPU for about $200 and a graphics card for $200.

Which option would be better?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Your link is from Amazon's AMD Store. Why do you think it's "gray market"?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Your link is from Amazon's AMD Store. Why do you think it's "gray market"?
    Good Question!

AMD did not release it for retail sale. It is only available to builders such as Dell, HP, etc

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    at least if you buy it at local shop you can stalk them until refund is done
    If I'm going to spend a lot of cash I'm also going to buy from a local shop at least I can physically handle and look at what I'm buying.

I purchased quite a bit of used oem memory for cheap off of ebay and have only had one order received which wasn't what I ordered and when I contacted the seller he apologized and shipped me what I ordered times two and told me to keep the other parts I didn't order and this seller was in the USA.

The wife orders all sorts of crap from Aliexpress and has never had any issues at all however some of the orders have taken several months to receive so something to consider.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have purchased sub-assemblies and parts to build four computers by various vendors from Amazon over the past six or seven years. Never have I ever received a defective component, part of sub-assembly. The next computer I build will be with sub-assemblies purchased from Amazon. APU or CPU? If it is from AMD, it is referred to as an APU, not a CPU.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

I emailed the vendor on Amazon who is selling the Ryzen 5 pro 4650G APU asking about the warranty.
    This was his response.

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Unfortunately, AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G are imported from overseas, so there is no guarantee.
    However, as per Amazon policy, returns, refunds or exchanges within 1 month of purchase are free.
    Thank you

I will now look for a Ryzen CPU and a reasonably priced graphics card.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12