Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Computer parts

Beans

Buying Computer parts

Has anybody bought computer parts from Aliexpress? Living in the US, I am wondering whether the significant savings is worth the potential aggravation.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Buying Computer parts

I have and while not a lot of problems, when there are issues it takes FOREVER to get them resolved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    I have and while not a lot of problems, when there are issues it takes FOREVER to get them resolved.
    Thanks
    When I built my last computer 3 years ago, it took 2 motherboard replacements until I was up and running. One return was to Newegg, the other to the manufacturer. After two non functioning motherboards, I sent the board back to the company CPU and memory installed. I could only imagine what I would have to go through if I had not bought locally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In addition to customer service being more conceptual than an actual thing, shipping lead times can be on the long side, too.
    regards

Beans

I am wondering whether the significant savings is worth the potential aggravation.

Whenever there are major savings you have to ask why. Are the parts knock offs? Are they ones that didn't make the cut for their intended purpose and these guys somehow got them? All kinds of possibilities. Not worth it imho. If something is too good to be true then it probably is, that or stolen. Either way it's no good in my book.

Beans

Don't use Aliexpress but do use Ebay. Have found most stuff is as they say and works. Found that cheap kitchen gadgets are usually much cheaper directly from China than after they go though markups here. If you do your homework and be aware there can be scams, should be okay. Finding something on site that is dirt cheap compared to others on site is good give away. Have also found stuff that is cheaper local than online.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    Found that cheap kitchen gadgets are usually much cheaper directly from China than after they go though markups here.
    i can confirm that substantial markups are added to gadgets, while quality is bad. so i stopped buying chinese gadgets and rather pay premium for the locally made one (they are making them 15 min form here). and while they charge nearly 2x for them they are really well built and will last a lot longer.

anyway back to computer parts. i bought USB keys and received rubish and fake keys. some won't work, others were fake (16 GB key reported 1 MB space). so i can only say it is not worth it. i will NEVER buy any computer parts from Aliexpress.

however if you ever go to southeast asia you might come across cheaper components. they are branded and are cheaper because:
    1. older model (sale?!)
    2. items might have shorter warranty than in your country - i bought an HP laptop like that. price was nearly 100 EUR lower than in my country for same model.
    3. they really are sold by small business that got it directly from manufacturer (i bought a laser pen/presentation device for 5 EUR with 6m warnaty and is still working well after 4 years).
    4. you might get an opportunity to haggle for price substantially. i did it once when i was buying a charger and chargeable AA batteries. they were really good and lasted longer than the one si would buy over here in Europe.

5. it can also be a scam of sorts, so make sure you try before you buy. e.g. good shops will launch the PC in front of you after you buy it so you can make sure all is working.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have purchased many subassemblies from ebay, B&H Photo, Newegg, and Amazon. One was a defective mother board from B&H, one was a defective bare-bones computer (Shuttle) from Newegg; both defectives were returned without issue. Back in olden days, there used to be large stores that dealt with computers, subassemblies, cables, and software. Alas, alack, they no longer exist.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

There are still a few actual retail stores. There is a MicroCenter store about 2 blocks from my house in Atlanta.

Beans

I was considering a specific graphics card. Both Newegg and Amazon used third party vendors that shipped from China. So why pay more?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast