Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Libreoffice English uk thesaurus not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Libreoffice English uk thesaurus not working

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar Delest View Post
    I don't understand, it works fine on my Xubuntu machine (see my screenshot).
    Where is the bug?
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by jim Kane View Post
    I have just installed Xubuntu 20.04 and the thesaurus is not working and it is greyed out in Libreoffice
    You are not alone - perhaps this link can help:-

https://itectec.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-ho...o-libreoffice/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar Delest View Post
    I don't understand, it works fine on my Xubuntu machine (see my screenshot).
    Where is the bug?
    i think because you have "en-GB [English [UK] dictionary" installed which is not available in 20.4
    i have only the choice of "Hunspell English (GB) dictionary"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I tried the method provided by tea for one and it worked fine. Even if there is no green check mark, you can access the thesaurus for UK.
    I also tried to install the latest EN dictionary extension and it works fine also, you do get the green check mark in addition. That's the best method IMHO.
    I guess that under GNU/Linux, LO tries to rely on the (shared) system configuration for language. Not that a good idea it seems. Better install the proper extension and that's all. That gives more control to the user.
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jim Kane View Post
    has anyone from the UK come across this and found a fix
    Yes, a slightly more straightforward fix than tea for one posted. Go to: https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/quest...ish-thesaurus/ and download the

en_GB_2_0_0.oxt file. In LibreOffice writer: Tools -> Extensions Manager -> Add button, add the oxt file. That's it. Sorted, at least for a proper UK, rather than linked from a US, Thesaurus.

<whinge>
    This lack of an out of the box functional UK English Thesaurus has been a tumbleweed strewn wasteland in LibreOffice bundled with Ubuntu for more years than I care to think about. Not just a tumbleweed strewn wasteland, but a tumbleweed strewn wasteland redolent with the overpowering stench of neglect and indifference.

Rhetorical question: don't the package maintainers care about creating elegant UK English text? Don't worry, I know the answer - that's why the question is rhetorical.
    </whinge>
    Last edited by coffeecat; March 7th, 2021 at 04:38 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

OMG, there is a Scottish Gaelic Spellchecker, tons of exotic other flavors and no one dared to provide a good extension for en_UK???
    Why isn't this extension (from weeklywhinge.com) provided in the LO extensions page?
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the link coffeecat - very useful.

I'm just going to get a rake to sort out the tumbleweed - rake being a garden implement rather than a decadent rogue

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Coffeecat thanks well try that on my test pc next but typed this out before reading your post

it is a Linux Bug but it’s only a problem if you Only have the English language package +Hanspell spellchecher en.uk and Mythes.en.us installed

but I have found a crazy workaround if you install the Australian English thesaurus Mythes.en.au and change your Language to English (Australia) then both the spellchecker and the thesaurus
    work ok
    Australian spelling is much closer to English uk then American
    see the screen shots
    langset2.pnglang set.png

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, I would not say it's a bug. It's just that nobody has provided a relevant thesaurus file to be included in the packages (be it the Mythes for Ubuntu or the AOO/LO English "standard" dictionary extension).
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12