Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Basic Requirements

Beans

Re: Basic Requirements

Is the computer seeing the new ram?
    If so and it's working you may not need to do anything else.

Beans

I installed the two RAM modules. Booted up and something strange happened. I was only able to get to the to initial Ubuntu welcome. I could not even get to the password signup. I took it out and now it is as it was.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Not a good idea to mix speeds. Some MOBOs can handle it awkwardly; others go on strike. What's really frustrating are the oddities and subtle misbehaviours that plague you afterwards. It's actually better to experience what you have: a system that at least forthrightly refuses to work. It's more damaging to be misled by a semblance of operability only to experience odd app breakages later on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use a Windows XP Virtualbox VM since 1-1-11. In 2011 I installed it on a Pentium 4 HT with 1.5GB DDR. My host OS was Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Probably both OSes did run in approx. 512MB each.

Running a modern version of Windows in a VM in Ubuntu 20.04 with in total 4 GB is difficult. I got Windows Vista installed on a first gen i5 laptop with 4 GB, but basically it is unworkable. I assigned 2 GB to Vista, but with XP using 1GB it will work. If you use Virtualbox, it will come with the drivers for XP.

I'm not aware of any limitation that Virtualbox has and I use both Virtualbox and KVM. Virtualbox is more user friendly and more reliable. KVM disk IO was faster, so it booted faster too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123