Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell laptop won't boot from usb

Beans

Dell laptop won't boot from usb

I have a Dell Inspiron 15-3565 with bios version 1.10.1 and I cannot seem to boot Ubuntu on USB. I used unetbootin. I have a current Windows 10 install and I want to dual boot. I read somewhere that maybe my bios won't boot anything gtp, not sure if this is, but I would really like some help please. I've tried disabling secure boot, fastboot and even tried legacy mode. It only gives me USB storage option, but if I select it, it says failure to load. I might add that my bios is Aptio setup utility American Megatrends Inc if that matters

Beans

Re: Dell laptop won't boot from usb

I'm not sure why your usb won't boot but one thing you could easily try is software other than unetbootin, ventoy, rufus or some other. Have you ever booted a usb from this computer? How old is it?

Beans

I have never tried before. We purchased the laptop 3 years ago came with Windows 7. It was purchased new. I will try other software for creating the USB and I'll try creating a disc iso too and report back my results. Windows has made my laptop painfully sluggish even with an upgraded SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I suggest using Rufus on a Windows machine to make the USB device. https://rufus.ie/ A machine that new probably requires GPT.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

F12 is usually the bottom to press on Dell systems to bring up the one time boot menu. If this is to ONLY have Ubuntu on then I recommend disabling UEFI/Secureboot and so on.

Beans

I used rufus and was able to boot the usb. Attempting install now. Thank you for the rufus suggestion. It appears to be installing alongside Windows. I'll update upon results

Beans

I'm doing a dual boot as I plan on keeping Windows. I wanted Linux as a second os for general use as Windows has become painfully slow

tea for one is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Have you read the info contained here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

By the way, Windows 7 support ended in January 2020.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I suggest using Rufus on a Windows machine to make the USB device. https://rufus.ie/ A machine that new probably requires GPT.
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    F12 is usually the bottom to press on Dell systems to bring up the one time boot menu. If this is to ONLY have Ubuntu on then I recommend disabling UEFI/Secureboot and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Have you read the info contained here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

By the way, Windows 7 support ended in January 2020.
    I don't have Windows 7. I have Windows 10. The laptop originally came with 7, but was offered a free update to 10.

Beans

So, the install froze on the final install step where you select the partitions. I rebooted in graphics safe mode and attempted to install again, but no longer gives me the option to install alongside Windows. Apparently it did create some partitions, but froze. Are there any guides on how to proceed with manual partitions so as to keep Windows?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast