Thread: you do not have permission to remove this software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

you do not have permission to remove this software

I am on ubuntu 20.04 and get an error when installing or removing software: you do not have permission to remove this software or you do not have permission to install this software. This is the error I get when trying to install/remove software in the ubuntu software center.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: you do not have permission to remove this software

Installing and removing software system-wide is an admin task, so admin privileges are required.
    On Ubuntu systems, there are a few ways to elevate the current permission level. The most common method is to use sudo.

Only selected userids are allowed to use the sudo program. You can check that by running the 'id' command in any terminal on the machine. If the userid is not a member of the sudo group, then it will not be possible.

It appears you've been here a long time, so perhaps the question just needs more clarity? By now you are probably used to using sudo. Yes?

Beans

What is the output of:
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I have the admin credentials for the system. The ubuntu software center normally prompts for the admin password. But for some reason it stopped doing that. I was on 20.04 LTS, and then upgraded to 20.10, and still the same problem. Now I do not even get the error message, I just see the progress bar, start, and it goes back to the install screen. I can install stuff just fine from the terminal.

I have been all over the internet and It appears this was a common problem, with earlier versions or with the polkit files, whatever those do. I did modify a file in the polkit folder, to get the messages about color profiles to go away, when I remote into the computer. I also have ubuntu LTS 20.04 on my laptop, and I have not messed with the install hardly at all. And it gives the same error message, as my desktop.

Sudo apt-get upgrade output: Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    All packages are up to date.

sudo apt-get upgrade output: Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Last edited by robertsaron; March 2nd, 2021 at 08:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

So I figured out the problem. When I remote into my Ubuntu Desktops, a message pops up with the following dialog box: Authencation is required to create a color profile. How ever entering in a username and password or hitting cancel, does not dismiss this dialog box. In creating a file, in the following folder: etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/

The file is called: 2-allow-colord.conf

The following is then entered into the file:
    polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) { if ((action.id == "org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-device" || action.id == "org.freedesktop.color-manager.create-profile" || action.id == "org.freedesktop.color-manager.delete-device" || action.id == "org.freedesktop.color-manager.delete-profile" || action.id == "org.freedesktop.color-manager.modify-device" || action.id == "org.freedesktop.color-manager.modify-profile") && subject.isInGroup("{users}")) { return polkit.Result.YES; } });

In looking all over the internet, when people remote into their Ubuntu desktops, for gnome, the notification about the profile pops up, and cannot be dismissed. How ever in creating the file do permanently do away the color profile notifcation, this prevents the installation and removal of software through the software center.

Is there anyway to get that annoying message to go away about the color profile, without putting that file in the polki-1 folder?

I use chrome remote desktop, and in my research, have seen that no matter what RDP program is used, this color profile message comes up. Any ideas?
    Last edited by robertsaron; March 5th, 2021 at 12:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Don't use rdp. Use ssh -X. A full desktop isn't very efficient.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Well I FINALLY found a fix, and I have no idea what it was. I can find it again, possibly, if anyone wants to know.