Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autocorrect not working in LibreOffice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Autocorrect not working in LibreOffice

Hi All,

There seems to be a problem with autocorrect in LibreOffice in Hirsute/MATE. There is no auto-capitalization of first words in a sentence, and the replacement table is not being implemented.

This exact issue came up in Fedora 34 prerelease back in February, and just resolved itself with a system update. We were never able to figure out what package fixed it, but it wasn't an update to LO.

It is NOT a bug in LO, or at most, it's an interaction between LO and some 'plumbing'. It's some system component that is causing this. I was away from Hirsute for almost 2 weeks, and when I logged in today, got 200 and something updates, so hard to say what is responsible.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Autocorrect not working in LibreOffice

Let devs know about that issue: report against LO both on launchpad and upstream.
    Lo is not perfect; myself on gnome, when i try to select rows & columns on calc, i often lost the first part before ending the selection.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Let devs know about that issue: report against LO both on launchpad and upstream.
    Lo is not perfect; myself on gnome, when i try to select rows & columns on calc, i often lost the first part before ending the selection.
    I really don't think it's a problem with LO. I reinstalled an older version that worked perfectly 2 weeks ago, and it has the same problem. In my Fedora experience, it resolved itself in a system update one fine day when there was no LO update. It's some system component that LO uses, and I wish I knew what it was.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Do you get some helpfull warnings/errors from 'journalctl -b' ?

By the way if no one blame Lo, devs will not pay attention; if Lo is not the right package, they will switch to the related package.

Beans

Yes, I just installed 21.04 and am experiencing the same problem -- auto-correct doesn't work, but it was working fine yesterday in 20.04, with the same LibreOffice version and profile.

Beans
    Distro

I think it has something to do with the GTK stack - the problem does not exist in Kubuntu 21.04. The same issue occurred in Fedora Workstation, which is Gnome, a month or so ago, and after a couple of weeks was fixed. Once a lot of MATE people update to Hirsute, perhaps it will be properly addressed.

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the link - I have added a "me too" comment with a bit more info.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am running Xubuntu 21.04 as a VM in KVM/QEMU and have the same problem - almost.

If I type 1/2 it does not automatically change to ½ unless I highlight it in the text then go to Tools -> Autocorrect -> Apply when the change occurs.
    However, if I try to repeat that with a second typing of 1/2, highlight it, and again go through the Tools -> Autocorrect -> Apply, nothing happens.
    Once and only once it happens, not automatically as it does in Xubuntu 20.04 with the same LO version 7.1.2.2.

I have added myself to the bug; we'll see how many more have the problem.
    Hopefully it will get solved as it is a nuisance to have to go through the character-map to get ½ to appear when it's needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Personally, I use the VCL=gen plugin (x11) and it works fine (LO 7.1.2.2 on Xubuntu Hirsute).
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast