Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I could not resize the file root size

Beans

I could not resize the file root size

I have tried to increase my fileroot size with gparted but could not resize at it's not allowing me to adjust the size
    Plz help me to sort out this issue

Note:
    /dev/sda9 - Fileroot
    /dev/sda14 - Newly created partition
    Last edited by mmursithakram; March 1st, 2021 at 06:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: I could not resize the file root size

The screenshot doesn't really look like gparted. Anyway, what may be the problem is that you cannot change a partition when it's mounted. So you have to boot a live disk and do your changes from there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The screenshot doesn't really look like gparted.
    It isn't. It's (Gnome) Disks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Keep in mind also that to make one partition bigger you need to make another partition smaller. There has to be unallocated (free) space before or after the partition to be resized. From the dialog of the Disks utility there is not any free space. When the disks utility firsts opens we get a layout of the disk showing all the partitions and their sizes and some information about what the partition is used for. Please take a screen shot of the layout and post it in this thread. If we do not have full and correct information about the drive and its partitions any advice we give might be inaccurate and damaging.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    This is actually taken from my Ubuntu and even when I tried with a live disk I could not resize it . Let me share those screenshots too

Yeah with the live boot disk I tried to resize the fileroot size but I could not adjust the size so I created a new partition called "New" (ex4) that you can see in the screen the shots. Afterwards I'm really stuck what to do next

Yeah I have shared the gparted screenshots ... Plz have a look at those
    Last edited by deadflowr; March 1st, 2021 at 05:56 PM. Reason: merged posts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Again, you need unallocated space right after the partition you want to expand and right next to the partition you apparently want to expand there's a swap partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

14 partitions? No wonder you've some difficulty managing that. But the important bits have been said: partition must be unmounted and unallocated space must be adjacent.

Beans
    Thank you so much , I got the point but if you could tell me how can I achieve in my case?

Yeah I have dual boot so that's why many partitions

Yeah I have dual boot that's why many partitions

I have 8 GB ram and Is it okay to swap off and use that partition to increase the fileroot size ? Is it a safe way to achieve this ? in case if I used swap partition , can I re-create the swap memory when my physical runs of ram?
    Last edited by deadflowr; March 1st, 2021 at 05:56 PM. Reason: merged posts

Beans

You can turn swap off then delete the swap partition. That will give you less than 2GB of additional space. You can't use the unallocated space or the New partition (sda14) because you have a 100+GB partition between the them. You have a data partition, not sure what that is for but you could copy personal data there which would reduce the amount of space used on the / filesystem partition.

Beans

Thank you so much , So can I use my sda12 (which is home directory of my Ubuntu partition - You can see in the screen shot which is next to swap space) to increase the fileroot if I delete my swap space? Is it possible to increase my sda12 when I delete the swap size (sda12 size + swap size becoming newly extended sda12) and then use the newly extended sda12 ( Which will be next to the fileroot )to get my fileroot size increased ? moreover if I need swap size , would I be able to create in case I delete it ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast