Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I could not resize the file root size

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: I could not resize the file root size

Quote Originally Posted by mmursithakram View Post
    Is it possible to increase my sda12 when I delete the swap size (sda12 size + swap size becoming newly extended sda12) and then use the newly extended sda12 ( Which will be next to the fileroot )to get my fileroot size increased ?
    No, to make your root partition larger you need unallocated space next to it. Partitions can only be extended into unallocated space. So you can extend sda12 that way, but that isn't useful.

35GB, the current size of sda9 (your root partition, if I get this right), should be enough for a root partition. You've got a separate /home partition, so you don't need that root partition for your documents. It may be a better idea to see if you can clean some things up in the root partition. I don't know what's in your sda10 and sda13. sda14 is new and appears quite useless. Maybe you can move files to those partitions or sda12 to get more room in sda9. Removing old logs, archives and snaps may help too. It should work automatically, but maybe something's wrong there.
    Code:
    sudo apt clean
    journalctl --disk-usage
    You don't really need swap, but it may be best to have some anyway. When you run out of ram (which will happen one day), it's better if things slow down than if random applications crash.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My suggestion would be to first delete that partition that you call New. What do you need it for? Will deleting that New partition increase the size of the unallocated space?

Where is the Ubuntu root partition that you want to expand? Is it the partition after sda6 (119GB)? If it is then as sda6 is a NTFS partition use Windows tools to move sda6 to the left to take up the unallocated space. Then you can use GParted to expand the Ubuntu root partition into the unallocated space that is now to the left of the Ubuntu root partition.

If the Ubuntu root partition is after sda5 (81GB NTFS entertainment) then which one of the two ext4 partitions is the Ubuntu root partition?

If the first ext4 partition after sda5 is the Ubuntu root partition and the second ext4 partition after sda5 is the NEW partition. Then deleting the NEW partition will bring the Ubuntu root partition right up against the unallocated space. Now you should be able to expand the Ubuntu root partition to the right using up unallocated space. Do this with GParted from a Ubuntu live session.

I am having to guess which partition is which as the screen shot does not label all the partitions and you do not help us by telling us which partition is the Ubuntu root partition and where it is in that GParted display.

The swap partition is very small. Deleting it will not do much to solve your problem. Besides, sda12 is between that small swap partition and which ever partition is your Ubuntu root partition.

Introducing additional questions into a thread is not only a distraction but it can cause confusion as to what you really want help for. Each additional question should be put into its own post.

Ubuntu 20.04 uses a swap file if my memory is correct. You can turn swap off but deleting a swap partition will slow down the Ubuntu boot process as the OS looks for a swap partition that is not there. Expect an increase of time by almost 2 minutes. Please do not ask me how I know.

Creating a new partition and calling it swap will not make it a swap partition as detected by the OS. More work would need to be done to get Ubuntu recognising a new partition as swap.

Do you remember your original question? That was solved by the information that we cannot resize ext4 partitions if the are mounted (in use) as the Ubuntu root partition was at the time.

regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Yeah it's very clear and I really got it .... Thank so much

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you were using LVM, increasing the size of an LV from other places on the disk would be easy, assuming they were all in the same VG. Alas, LVM use needs to be selected at install-time for OS increases.

OTOH, with all the partitions you seem to be using, learning LVM really would make your storage management life easier. LVM can be added to any empty data partition. Generally, you'd have maybe 3 partitions on a system (/boot/, /boot/EFI/, everything else for LVM), then break up the everything else as a single PV and single VG, with as many LVs as you like, sized however you need. When expanding any LV, the space doesn't need to be adjacent, just within the same VG. The real power with LVM is to only allocate storage to LVs when it is needed. Some of my LVM setups use less than 50% of the total storage in the system.

Sorry, the fonts aren't readable to my eyes in the images.
    parted -l and lsblk -e 7 -o name,size,type,fstype,mountpoint would be useful AS TEXT.
    Here's an example of some LVM coolness:
    Code:
    $ lsblk -e 7 -o name,size,type,fstype,mountpoint
    NAME                       SIZE TYPE FSTYPE      MOUNTPOINT
    sr0                       1024M rom              
    vda                         30G disk             
    ├─vda1                     512M part vfat        /boot/efi
    ├─vda2                       1K part             
    └─vda5                    29.5G part LVM2_member 
      ├─vgubuntu--mate-root     17G lvm  ext4        /
      ├─vgubuntu--mate-swap_1  4.1G lvm  swap        [SWAP]
      └─vgubuntu--mate-home     12G lvm  ext4        /home
    vdb                         10G disk             
    └─vdb1                      10G part LVM2_member 
      └─vgubuntu--mate-root     17G lvm  ext4        /

$ sudo parted -l

Model: Virtio Block Device (virtblk)
    Disk /dev/vdb: 10.7GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: gpt
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
     1      1049kB  10.7GB  10.7GB                     lvm

Model: Virtio Block Device (virtblk)
    Disk /dev/vda: 32.2GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
     1      1049kB  538MB   537MB   primary   fat32        boot
     2      539MB   32.2GB  31.7GB  extended
     5      539MB   32.2GB  31.7GB  logical                lvm
    See how the "root" LV is made up of storage from two different disks (vda and vdb)? Those are actually virtual disks. The storage is really on the same SSD.

LVM is very powerful. It is helpful in creating clean backups too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12