Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't uninstall ubuntu

Beans

Question I can't uninstall ubuntu

Hello, I don't know if this is the correct thread but I need help uninstalling ubuntu. I apologise for my english in advance.

I was going to follow the instructions that many tutorials out there give you (deleting the disk partition where ubuntu is installed and changing the grub), but something weird happened.

First I removed the grub with the bootrec /fixmbr command.

Then I created the windows installation USB, and after that I headed to Disk Management to remove the previously said partition, but it didn't gave me the option (gray letters). I looked up the cause and I read that it could be because i probably had installed something there so I restarted my PC to go to Ubuntu, but obviously the dual boot had disappeared, Windows initialized directly.
    Captura de pantalla (207).jpg

I tryed removing the partition with diskpart, but it was no use.

In conclusion, I'm stucked in Windows and I can't free 180 GB of space from the ubuntu partition. Is there anyway to fix this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mar221; February 28th, 2021 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Solved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: I can't uninstall ubuntu

The 180G partition, the third in your shown listing, that was your Ubuntu is now marked as a second EFI partition for some reason, and I do not know Windows well enough to know which partitions other than that are essential to Windows.

However, I may be able to help more if you can boot to a live Ubuntu system (the USB you used to install it, if you still have it) and from that live system run gparted and show us a screenshot of the gparted window which I can usually understand better than the Windows Disk Management, which always confuses me, telling only half the story when it comes to any Linux partitions.

Running gparted you may be able to simply delete or reformat the old Ubuntu partition and then use it in Windows again but I'm reluctant to tell you to do so in case it has for some reason taken over as your EFI partition, meaning you can no longer boot to Windows.

Beans

Hi, thank you for your answer.
    I did what you said and I was able to get into ubuntu. Here is a screenshot of the gparted. There's an unknown partition, maybe that's what is causing the problem?
    Captura de pantalla de 2021-02-28 13-57-02.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, it isn't.

The partition with 180.23GB is the one you want to remove. For some reason it has flags "boot, esp" which explains why Windows was considering it as another ESP (EFI partition). This is highly unusual and I suspect user mistake.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

You will also likely to have to repair Windows from a Windows DVD or USB after removing Ubuntu. I have in the past simply deleted the Ubuntu volume from Windows disk management in the process reinstalling newer versions of Ubuntu , but if Ubuntu is deleted and the system rebooted Windows will require repair. Note : I have never used the install along side option so can't comment on what's done by the installer during that process.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; February 28th, 2021 at 04:46 PM.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Not a tutorial thread, so moved to the "Installation & Upgrade" forum for a better fit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    You will also likely to have to repair Windows from a Windows DVD or USB after removing Ubuntu. I have in the past simply deleted the Ubuntu volume from Windows disk management in the process reinstalling newer versions of Ubuntu , but if Ubuntu is deleted and the system rebooted Windows will require repair. Note : I have never used the install along side option so can't comment on what's done by the installer during that process.
    Apparently Windows boots directly (it's a UEFI system) so no repair should be needed. And that in spite of
    First I removed the grub with the bootrec /fixmbr command
    which isn't applicable but so far seems to have done no harm.

Beans

Do I have to remove those flags to solve the problem? Or do I have to do something more?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mar221 View Post
    Do I have to remove those flags to solve the problem? Or do I have to do something more?
    No need.
    You can remove the partition with Gparted in the live session. Then boot Windows and expand the partition immediately left to the now unallocated space.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Apparently Windows boots directly (it's a UEFI system) so no repair should be needed. And that in spite of
    First I removed the grub with the bootrec /fixmbr command
    Thanks , Much easier than legacy if that's the case regardless of the boot flag selection.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast