Thread: Can't get persistent static route to work in /etc/network/interfaces - help please ?

Beans

Can't get persistent static route to work in /etc/network/interfaces - help please ?

Hi all,

I'm new here, just registered, My name is Terrence (aka radiance32).

I'm setting up Ubuntu LTS on an arm based SBC with 2 ethernet interfaces (one public connected to the internet, and one private, for backend SQL access and administration.
    I've set everything up and it all works great,
    but, I need to add a static route to one of my home networks so i can access the server via the 2nd interface for administration services.

If i add the route manually, it works and I can have access from my 10.0.0.0/24 network:

> route add -net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 10.0.100.10
    But, as you all know, static routes created with the route command aren't persistent and dissapear after a reboot.
    So, according to the documentation, I added the static route with the "up" in front of it, to the end of my /etc/network/interfaces,
    here is my /etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# network interface eth0
    allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 10.0.200.30
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 10.0.200.10

# network interface eth1
    allow-hotplug eth1
    iface eth1 inet static
    address 10.0.100.30
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 10.0.100.10

up route add -net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 10.0.100.10

However, when I reboot, nothing happens, there is no route added,
    and i have to add it manually.
    All the other configuration stuff in the file that configures my eth0 and eth1 interfaces all works fine,
    and these interfaces are all configured perfectly at boot.

I also tried changing it to:

post-up route add -net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 10.0.100.10

Which is saw somewhere in a thread found via google, but it does'nt do anything either...

What am I missing here ? How do i set my static route so it's automatically set at boot ???

Thanks,
    Terrence
    Last edited by radiance32; February 28th, 2021 at 12:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Can't get persistent static route to work in /etc/network/interfaces - help pleas

Ubuntu LTS
    Ubuntu which? In versions 17.10 and later, /etc/network/interfaces is deprecated in favor of netplan. Please see the netplan templates here:

Code:
    ls /usr/share/doc/netplan/examples
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Re: Can't get persistent static route to work in /etc/network/interfaces - help pleas

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Ubuntu which? In versions 17.10 and later, /etc/network/interfaces is deprecated in favor of netplan. Please see the netplan templates here:

Code:
    ls /usr/share/doc/netplan/examples
    Hi,

I'm using an image that came with my NanoPi R1S SBC called "nanopi-r1s-h3_sd_friendlycore-xenial_4.14_armhf_20191219.img",
    and there is no netplan in /usr/share/doc ...

Any other ideas ?

Terrence

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I wonder if it is just a timing thing. Just as a hack job test, try a calling a script from a post-up with a sleep delay as its first command.
    Also suggest sending a message to /var/log/kern.log (or does it go to syslog? can not recall, and it has been too long since a re-boot, everything has flushed.) indicating it ran. Example:

Code:
    echo "doug_firewall $FWVER done..." >> /dev/kmsg
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Yeah,

I was thinking about that too yesterday,
    maybe it takes a bit for the interfaces to come up and the route command is executed too early and fails...

i'll give it a go and create a startup script...

Terrence