Thread: SSD help

Beans

SSD help

I just upgraded my hdd for a Crucial mx500 ssd i can run the trim command with (sudo fstrim -v /) command. This cleans up the root partition i think. Have it set as a cron job but i guess what i'm asking is there anything else i need to do to maintain it. I read somewhere about deleting blocks but can't find out how to do that or even what it does. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: SSD help

I used to add my own cron job.
    But now it is a systemd item.

fred@z170-focal-k:~$ systemctl status fstrim.timer

I do change mount in fstab to use noatime.
    Be sure to have good backups as once trim has run there will be no older deleted copies to recover with photorec.

I have Samsung NVMe drive and downloaded new firmware from Samsung and updated it.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Re: SSD help

I built my Threadripper system in June 2019:

Building a Threadripper System for Slackware...
    https://www.andrews-corner.org/threadripper.html

For this system I actually purchased 2 x Crucial MX500 2.5inch SSDs of 2GB each and have kept them humming along since that time. You have not given the size of your drives but the 2GB drives have a TBW (Terabytes Written) company spec of a more than adequate 700TB, the bigger drives are guaranteed for a longer life than the smaller drives.

I run the development version of Slackware on this system and thus usually upgrade the OS components every week or so and I always run the following after each upgrade:

Code:
    fstrim -av
    This has always been enough for me and my drives are now almost 2 years old without any drama. You and I have chosen well .
    You think that's air you're breathing now?