Thread: What is the difference between Shared hosting and WordPress Hosting

Beans

What is the difference between Shared hosting and WordPress Hosting

Hi,

I have been searching on Internet a while and couldn't find WordPress Hosting vs Shared Hosting.

I'm current subscribing Shared Hosting with unlimited visitors, unlimited websites and unlimited storage. All my websites are WordPress sites. My current contract shall end at the coming May. I wonder whether it would be a benefit renewing a WordPress Hosting Plan? What is WordPress hosting and their difference?

Please shed me some lights

Thanks and Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What is the difference between Shared hosting and WordPress Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by satimis View Post
    I have been searching on Internet a while and couldn't find WordPress Hosting vs Shared Hosting.
    There is no such a thing; Why would you compare that one? That's very different to each other. Just search individually on the internet. so you can find any answers to each one you need to know. Internet is the best tool for studying. Its more than a book, encyclopedia and etc. Its a world thing. In just a click you will see many answers and just choose what is common and usual answers and maybe that's the right one you are looking for. The secret hint is to read read and read. dig deeper and you will always find the best answer. Just be more patience to everything you do because there is always a good place for everything. God Bless and Good Luck.
    Last edited by mIk3_08; February 26th, 2021 at 02:00 PM.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans

I think the so-called "Wordpress Hosting" is a more stripped-down hosting plan, intended only for use with a single wordpress site. I believe shared hosting should give you more flexibility. It's up to the provider to determine what is offered in each plan, though, so you'll probably need to contact them.

By the way, "unlimited" is never actually unlimited. Storage is the one they will probably try to get you on, by limiting the number of inodes you can use. That's basically the number of files you can have on the server. They never publish that number, because they don't want you to think about it, but it's their way of controlling how much you can host. It seems like a typical shared hosting plan gives you 300,000 inodes, which is sufficient for a basic website.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mIk3_08 View Post
    There is no such a thing; Why would you compare that one? ......
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Before posting I have been searching a while on Internet and found some links. Following links are examples of my finding.

Shared vs Managed WordPress Hosting: The Key Differences and How to Make Your Decision
    https://www.codeinwp.com/blog/shared...press-hosting/

Shared Hosting vs WordPress Hosting: Which One Should You Use?
    https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/share...press-hosting/

Shared Hosting vs WordPress Hosting: Which is Best for You?
    https://www.greengeeks.com/blog/shar...press-hosting/

So I started this post in anticipation that some folks on the forum having subscribed WordPress hosting can share me their experience.

Regards

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberminion View Post
    I think the so-called "Wordpress Hosting" is a more stripped-down hosting plan, intended only for use with a single wordpress site. I believe shared hosting should give you more flexibility. It's up to the provider to determine what is offered in each plan, though, so you'll probably need to contact them.
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

I have a wrong understanding on WordPress Hosting that all my websites are WordPress sites I should subscribe WordPress Hosting. In fact I should continue subscribing Shared Hosting. I don't need the support of hosting company on WordPress.

By the way, "unlimited" is never actually unlimited. Storage is the one they will probably try to get you on, by limiting the number of inodes you can use. That's basically the number of files you can have on the server. They never publish that number, because they don't want you to think about it, but it's their way of controlling how much you can host. It seems like a typical shared hosting plan gives you 300,000 inodes, which is sufficient for a basic website.
    You're right, my current hosting company set up the limit on inodes, 250,000. I only used about 2,500. They post it as "File Usage" on Statistics of cPanel, 2,429 / ∞

"∞" on Mathematics term should be infinitive/unlimited. On my asking during "Live Chat", they said 250,000. There is plenty room for me. All my websites are NOT for business but sharing information amongst acquaintance. It can be said for "interest/fun" purpose.

I have cloned websites running local network. I can turn my PC to web server provided if running it 24/7/365 but I don't consider it being necessary.

Several years ago I was subscribing FTTH on static/fixed IP and I have set up following feature;
    When my PC was up, visitors browsed the websites on my PC. When my PC was down, visitors browsed the websites on the server of my hosting company. The switching was seamless and visitors didn't recognize it. My current subscribing plan offers this feature.

In respect of I/O Usage, previously, once I found in RED saying 94.01%. I/O usage refers to the Transfer Rate between hard disk and RAM. In renewing the contract whether I need to subscribe more RAM?

Thanks

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; February 27th, 2021 at 05:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Before posting I have been searching a while on Internet and found some links. Following links are examples of my finding.

Shared vs Managed WordPress Hosting: The Key Differences and How to Make Your Decision
    https://www.codeinwp.com/blog/shared...press-hosting/

Shared Hosting vs WordPress Hosting: Which One Should You Use?
    https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/share...press-hosting/

Shared Hosting vs WordPress Hosting: Which is Best for You?
    https://www.greengeeks.com/blog/shar...press-hosting/

So I started this post in anticipation that some folks on the forum having subscribed WordPress hosting can share me their experience.

Regards
    hey! you can still run/use or host WordPress on a shared hosting, Do you know that? and you can also run vBulletin ghost, moin moin on a shared hosting. and you can also host multiple website on a shared hosting using multiple content management systems
    while on the WordPress Hosting. Is a WordPress Hosting. why you compare a WordPress hosting alone with Open Source? your just comparing a PHP vs bundles of programming languages like; ColdFusion Markup Language Ruby on Rails Python Java ASP.NET Perl. Are you sure what you are doing? Do you understand what you are reading?
    Last edited by mIk3_08; February 28th, 2021 at 03:19 AM.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

I have a wrong understanding on WordPress Hosting that all my websites are WordPress sites I should subscribe WordPress Hosting. In fact I should continue subscribing Shared Hosting. I don't need the support of hosting company on WordPress.

Regards
    I haven't read this one before my previous reply. I hope you get what you need under what you have read on the internet. Good Luck and God Bless.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mIk3_08 View Post
    hey! you can still run/use or host WordPress on a shared hosting, Do you know that? and you can also run vBulletin ghost, moin moin on a shared hosting. and you can also host multiple website on a shared hosting using multiple content management systems
    - snip -
    Hi mIk3_08,

Sorry, I was confused that all my websites being WordPress sites, WordPress Hosting will be more suitable for me. I was wrong. I should renew my contract on Shared Hosting. I don't need the support on WordPress from hosting company. Thanks.

I still have a remaining question on I/O Usage. About 10 days ago, once on cPanel Statistics, it showed in RED saying 94.01%. I was not maintaining my websites. But upto now that warning never appears again. I have contacted my hosting company. They even didn't know.

Limit of resource allowed;
    Code:
    CPU (Accessible cores)    2
    Memory/RAM (MB)  1000 
    I/O (KB/sec)   1000
    Entry processes (Concurrent connections)  125
    Files (inodes)  250,000
    Disk space   unlimited
    Maximum email accounts   unlimited
    Current inodes used - about 2,500

Can you help? Thanks

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; February 28th, 2021 at 03:50 AM.

Beans

You should consider renting a virtual server at Linode and hosting all your websites yourself. I'll bet it would turn out to be a lot cheaper. You can rent a reasonably hefty VM at Linode for $10/month. How much do you pay a hosting company for thirty sites?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    You should consider renting a virtual server at Linode and hosting all your websites yourself. I'll bet it would turn out to be a lot cheaper. You can rent a reasonably hefty VM at Linode for $10/month. How much do you pay a hosting company for thirty sites?
    Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

My running contract is about USD313 for 3 years
    Unlimited storage
    Unlimited websites
    Unlimited visits
    Inodes - 250,000

Regards