Thread: pictures and videos manager for windows 10?

Beans

pictures and videos manager for windows 10?

hi
    having problems with the ubuntu options so i want to try a free windows photos and videos manager. do you know anything good that is not owned by a big tech company?

TNX
    my desktop computer has Ubuntu 22.04 64bit

Beans

Re: pictures and videos manager for windows 10?

free windows
    i don't understand

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3nd View Post
    i don't understand
    C'mon, a windows photos and videos manager which is free.

There are a few sites which suggest alternatives to certain applications, eg, https://alternativeto.net

There are several others, have a look there you might find something until someone can give you a recommendation. What were you using on Ubuntu ? Many open soure applications are cross platform.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

When I last used Windows XP, 16 years ago, I always used IrfanView as my Photo manager and editor. It is a small freeware application which still apparently runs well using Wine in Ubuntu, though I have not used it for many years now having found several extremely good applications in the repos which work superbly in Ubuntu, and I also personally prefer to use native Linux applications, not Windows applications running in Wine.

At present I use gthumb which even though it has moved in the same direction as most other gnome applications and does not use a simple menubar up top (File, Edit, View, etc) and thus may need a few minutes at first use to figure out how to do things.
    If using KDE systems such as Kubuntu, you may find that digikam is tip-top in managing and editing photos, and it will work fine on a GTK system like Ubuntu and Xubuntu but it pulls in s huge number of dependencies, 163MB of downloads on my Xubuntu 20.04 system, mainly because it needs a lot of qt libraries. It is still my overall favourite photo manager and editor in spite of it being a KDE application though I have it on my main machine only, using gthumb on other machines..
    Try it; you may also like it, and if you don't you can easily purge it.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; February 25th, 2021 at 10:27 PM.

Beans

i've tried digikam on ubuntu but could not figure out why my media is not displayed
    shotwell also doesn't works good at all and i wrote about it lately.
    i've tried to find windows photos managers reviews but didn't found something good.
    i will try IrfanView (on windows)
    thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Digikam is a snap and like most snaps it doesn't anything outside home by default. Assuming you installed it via Ubuntu Software you can open again its page, click the big red button "Permissions" and then enable the pertinent permissions.

What was the problem with Shotwell?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Digikam is also available as a deb in the "normal" manner; use command sudo apt install digikam and all should be fine.

I do not use any snaps and removed snapd so the whole snap system is unavailable to me, and I never use software-store or whatever it is called.
    Occasionally I use synaptic as it is an easy GUI way to search for packages; it is not, however, another version of software-store and has no packages that have to be paid for, and with one or two exceptions, chromium being the most well known, synaptic does not offer or install any snaps.

I can not really tell you much more about snaps for that reason, but I am aware that many users become quickly dismayed by the inability of snaps to use the whole filesystem in the normal manner unless they are specifically configured to do so; exactly how that is done and how effective it is I will have to leave to others who know the details of the use of snap packages.

Beans

after trying irfan view i got dissappointed
    my aim is to organize and delete photos and videos in one screen but this program don't show me all my photos in an 'organizer'

if you know of other ones which do that let me know
    thanks anyway

ps
    maybe i will give a try to digikam on windows even tho i've read that it isn't stable on windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It's a long time since I used irfanview but I think there was a separate thumbnails section which showed exactly that, thumbnails of all photos in your chosen system folder.
    I do not remember if that was a separate installed application or part of the whole but search around and you may find it; if not, perhaps it does not work that way when using wine.
    Sorry I can not help more but I am not going to install wine just to check that out.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Try XnviewMP (not the legacy Xnview).
    Runs both on GNU/Linux and Windows. A must have.
    Ubuntu user # 14396